Blighted by an alarming crime rate, Brazil is boosting its 2014 FIFA World Cup security budget to 1.879 billion Brazilian real (£560 million/$900 million/€680 million) to make sure the event is “one of the most protected sports events in history,” the Government has announced.The country plans to have one police officer for every 50 people attending matches, and one for every 80 at other public viewing venues around the country.“The Government has made a programme to compile the measures needed for everyone’s security,” said Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo.“This is an item that we face with much importance.”As well as being worried about infrastructure being behind schedule ahead of staging its first World Cup since 1950, FIFA has consistently expressed concern about Brazil’s burgeoning crime rate, particularly in the sprawling areas of São Paulo.“We are seeing a big wave of crime in São Paulo, which is not good for its image or tourism,” FIFA general secretary Jérôme Valcke said last month. However, Brazil 2014 said the issue will be addressed to cope with thousands of fans pouring into the country for the World Cup.“Security has become an ever-increasing issue for major sporting events in the past decade,” the organising committee said in a statement.“This has increased the level of information exchange between countries that have recently hosted events to ensure public safety.”At the last World Cup in South Africa in 2010, the Government invested 640 million rand (£45 million/$732 million/€560 million) to deploy 31,000 police officials during the tournament and set aside a total security budget of 1.3 billion rand (£92 million/$1.5 billion/€1.1 billion).
Ghana defender, Jonathan Mensah has called on his colleagues not to give up after losing their first group match at the World Cup.The Black Stars were beaten 2-1 by the USA last night in Natal.But Mensah, who was supberb on Monday night believes things could change if they are able to take at least a point against Germany this Saturday“We learn from our mistakes. We are disappointed, Ghanaians are disappointed, but it’s not over.“It’s left with two games, no one put us in this situation, we did, so we have to do everything to come out of it.“Yes we can beat the Germans, like the same way the USA beat us. This group is going to be very tough, and we are going to see if Portugal can beat USA.“I believe if we have a good result against Germany, everything will be rested on the last game. “We should be patient. We know Ghanaians are hurt, and we are sorry about that. We will try and do something on Saturday,” Mensah added..Ghana are chasing a third straight appearance in the second round after a round of 16 and quarter-final berth in 2006 and 2010 respectively.