Follow the news on China China’s Cyber Censorship Figures March 12, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts RSF_en ChinaAsia – Pacific (source : 64 Tianwang)The next day, a man aged around 30 threw ink on the lower left-hand corner of the gigantic portrait of Mao Zedong that overlooks the square. The police quickly “removed” the man and set up a 200-metre perimeter in an attempt to conceal what had taken place.Wang was arrested on 7 March and sent back to her home province, Jilin, where she is being held on a charge of “picking quarrels and causing trouble,” which carries a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.Two other 64 Tianwang contributors, Liu Xuehong and Xing Jian, were arrested on 8 March. Liu, who covered the defacing of Mao’s portrait, is being held in a Beijing detention centre. Her husband told Amnesty International that the police were using Falung Gong membership as a pretext for holding her and for seizing computers, cameras and a computer hard disk from their home. It is not known where Xian, 17, is currently being held.Huang Qi has served a total of eight years in prison in two stints since 2000. The second one began in July 2008, when he was sentenced to three years in prison on a charge of “illegal possession of state secrets” for helping the parents of children killed in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake.On 22 June 2004, Reporters Without Borders awarded its Cyberfreedom Prize to Huang Qi, who has been imprisoned for four years for criticising the Chinese government on his Internet site.The 12th session of the National People’s Congress a year ago, when Xi Jinping was installed as president and repeatedly promised to provide “benefits to the population,” was also marked by a great deal of censorship and restrictions on freedom of association.Classified again as an “Enemy of the Internet” in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders report on the Internet, China is ranked 175th out of 180 countries in RWB’s 2014 press freedom index. News Organisation June 2, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Reporters Without Borders condemns yesterday’s arrest of Huang Qi, the director of the independent news website 64 Tianwang, and last week’s arrests of three citizen-journalists who are contributors to the site and who are still detained.They were arrested in connection with their coverage of protests and other actions that “petitioners” staged in Tiananmen Square in an attempt to draw the attention of officials participating in the annual National People’s Congress, which began last week and ended yesterday.“We firmly condemn the arrests of citizen-journalists and the harassment of Huang Qi, and we demand the release of the three contributors to his site who are still being held arbitrarily without any charge being brought against them,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk.“Every time the authorities censor the public and those who courageously try to report actions carried out by members of the public, the regime reveals a bit more of its determination to ignore and deny social problems despite the growing criticism it is receiving.”A dozen policemen went to Huang Qi’s home in Chengdu yesterday afternoon, arresting him and seizing his computer, mobile phone and USB sticks. After releasing him, they went back again today.He told Reporters Without Borders: “There were policemen form the Beijing Public Security Bureau. They notified me of two summonses and around ten policemen then searched my home. Two of them were even armed. They requested information about the website’s contributors who were in Tiananmen Square.”Three citizen-journalists were arrested last week for taking photos of incidents in Tiananmen Square. On 5 March, the day that the National People’s Congress began, a woman tried to set fire to herself but police officers intervened and took her away. Thanks to Wang Jing, a volunteer reporter, 64 Tianwang covered the incident and posted photos of smoke rising from a spot near the Forbidden City. March 15, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Website editor, three citizen journalists arrested for covering protests Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes April 27, 2021 Find out more News ChinaAsia – Pacific News News Help by sharing this information to go further
Jaspert said that with effect from Wednesday, for seven days in the first instance, only those businesses that provide essential services will be open and all other businesses and workplaces must be closed. “We are also asking people to restrict their movements only to those that are essential. The safest thing you can do is to avoid contact with other people as much as possible,” the Governor said. The BVI has recorded one death and 25 positive cases of the virus. “Intensive contact tracing and further testing is underway. The test kits, lab equipment and rapid testing machine supplied by the United Kingdom are contributing to the speed at which this can be done.” He said the public service will be closed to the public and public officers will carry out their duties remotely, except for certain essential services. “There was a previous offer from the UK to help to bolster the Territory’s border security in the early days of COVID-19. That offer was not supported at the time. I will be discussing with the National Security Council what support might now be needed and will update in due course,” he added. ‘Your actions can help protect us all – particularly our elderly and more vulnerable. You must abide by the social distancing advice. Please follow the health guidelines – wear a mask, wash your hands for 20 seconds, limit physical contact with people and comply with other health advice. The Government will do all it deems necessary, but the actions you take will determine how successful we are as a Territory in reducing the spread of the virus.” Jaspert said that this is not a time for selfishness or for thinking you are invincible and cannot spread the virus. “These decisions have been driven by one motivation; to protect you and to protect the overall population of the Territory. Our strategy as a Cabinet throughout has been to put safety first – to be safe rather than sorry. We have to balance the need to keep people safe, to keep our economy going as much as possible and the need for essential services to operate. “In the coming days we have a chance to reverse the risk that the virus takes hold in the Territory. We need everyone’s support on this. Every single one of us is on the front-line in the fight against this virus. Every single one of us can play our part. “The restrictions on movement of vessels within our Territorial waters will remain in place. All private and commercial vessels shall be prohibited from travelling within the Territorial waters, with the exception of fisherfolk where authorised and intra-island ferries. There is no travel permitted to Anegada unless as approved. All other vessels should return to dock.” He told citizens that there will be a “hard curfew” each day from 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. and during that time, persons will be required to stay in their homes or the confines of their yard. He said during the full lockdown earlier this year, the authorities demonstrated that they can effectively deliver services to the public and he remains confident that they can continue to do so. “I know many businesses have also made great strides in enabling staff to work remotely. Working from home for many of us will be the order of the day in the coming period. We have had a period of adaptation and I applaud all those who have changed routines and practices to ensure safe distancing and follow hygiene protocols. There is a risk that with the period of no cases that we had over the last months that some persons may become complacent. This must not happen. “ Governor of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) Augustus Jaspert “As we impose restrictions internally and have strict measures in place for people travelling through the legitimate routes into the Territory, we must ensure that our borders are secure and that people comply with the required measures. The Governor of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) Augustus Jaspert has announced a lockdown of the British Overseas Territory as it seeks to deal with an upsurge in the number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. The Governor said that people have rightly expressed concern about the small number of individuals who are not following the rules and concerns about the border security. He said that the BVI was now recording further cases of COVID-19 and is now being classified as “having clusters of cases. CMC “All current curfew passes are invalid and new curfew passes will be issued only to the limited list of those requiring them for essential services and whilst on duty. The full list of those essential services will be published on the Government’s website. Companies seeking passes for employees should submit a list for essential workers to the Health Emergency Operations Centre on [email protected]” He said the Cabinet had “debated long and hard on how to avoid a full lockdown, whilst ensuring the safety and protection of the people. Jaspert said that to enable essential services and workers to operate during the hard lock-down period there will be a new curfew pass scheme in place. Jaspert said he is aware that the next period will be difficult, adding “these restrictions will create hardships for those businesses and employees affected. “People will be free to leave their homes during 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (local time) but we ask that you limit this as much as possible and only do so to access essential services and activities,” Jaspert said. “But they are necessary, and we do not undertake them lightly. I am calling on all in the British Virgin Islands to make what we sincerely hope will be short-term sacrifices now, so that we can get through this together. “We have had to make difficult decisions. And I know those decisions will affect people’s livelihoods, their income, businesses and way of life. We need to use this chance we have now to try to halt the virus and that is why we are moving to restricting businesses to only absolutely essential areas. “ The virus will not discriminate between people and we all need to be together in our resolve to give it no chance to spread. That is why we are taking further action as a Government but we are also asking everyone to play their part,” Jaspert said. He said he was also urging all employers of any business that is permitted to be open to be responsible and close in good time to allow their employees and customers time to get home before the curfew.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisThis week looks at the jail populations around Northeast Michigan and what local authorities are doing to alleviate the number of inmates behind bars. Catch all three parts of Insights into Northeast Michigan below. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Girl Scouts go to CourtNext Luxury Event Honors Ken’s March Against Hunger Fundraiser