Website editor, three citizen journalists arrested for covering protests

first_img Follow the news on China China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures March 12, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts RSF_en ChinaAsia – Pacific (source : 64 Tianwang)The next day, a man aged around 30 threw ink on the lower left-hand corner of the gigantic portrait of Mao Zedong that overlooks the square. The police quickly “removed” the man and set up a 200-metre perimeter in an attempt to conceal what had taken place.Wang was arrested on 7 March and sent back to her home province, Jilin, where she is being held on a charge of “picking quarrels and causing trouble,” which carries a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.Two other 64 Tianwang contributors, Liu Xuehong and Xing Jian, were arrested on 8 March. Liu, who covered the defacing of Mao’s portrait, is being held in a Beijing detention centre. Her husband told Amnesty International that the police were using Falung Gong membership as a pretext for holding her and for seizing computers, cameras and a computer hard disk from their home. It is not known where Xian, 17, is currently being held.Huang Qi has served a total of eight years in prison in two stints since 2000. The second one began in July 2008, when he was sentenced to three years in prison on a charge of “illegal possession of state secrets” for helping the parents of children killed in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake.On 22 June 2004, Reporters Without Borders awarded its Cyberfreedom Prize to Huang Qi, who has been imprisoned for four years for criticising the Chinese government on his Internet site.The 12th session of the National People’s Congress a year ago, when Xi Jinping was installed as president and repeatedly promised to provide “benefits to the population,” was also marked by a great deal of censorship and restrictions on freedom of association.Classified again as an “Enemy of the Internet” in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders report on the Internet, China is ranked 175th out of 180 countries in RWB’s 2014 press freedom index. News Organisation June 2, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Reporters Without Borders condemns yesterday’s arrest of Huang Qi, the director of the independent news website 64 Tianwang, and last week’s arrests of three citizen-journalists who are contributors to the site and who are still detained.They were arrested in connection with their coverage of protests and other actions that “petitioners” staged in Tiananmen Square in an attempt to draw the attention of officials participating in the annual National People’s Congress, which began last week and ended yesterday.“We firmly condemn the arrests of citizen-journalists and the harassment of Huang Qi, and we demand the release of the three contributors to his site who are still being held arbitrarily without any charge being brought against them,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk.“Every time the authorities censor the public and those who courageously try to report actions carried out by members of the public, the regime reveals a bit more of its determination to ignore and deny social problems despite the growing criticism it is receiving.”A dozen policemen went to Huang Qi’s home in Chengdu yesterday afternoon, arresting him and seizing his computer, mobile phone and USB sticks. After releasing him, they went back again today.He told Reporters Without Borders: “There were policemen form the Beijing Public Security Bureau. They notified me of two summonses and around ten policemen then searched my home. Two of them were even armed. They requested information about the website’s contributors who were in Tiananmen Square.”Three citizen-journalists were arrested last week for taking photos of incidents in Tiananmen Square. On 5 March, the day that the National People’s Congress began, a woman tried to set fire to herself but police officers intervened and took her away. Thanks to Wang Jing, a volunteer reporter, 64 Tianwang covered the incident and posted photos of smoke rising from a spot near the Forbidden City. March 15, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Website editor, three citizen journalists arrested for covering protests Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes April 27, 2021 Find out more News ChinaAsia – Pacific News News Help by sharing this information to go furtherlast_img read more

American Cancer Society Gala Honors Jockey Victor Espinoza

first_imgGiving Back American Cancer Society Gala Honors Jockey Victor Espinoza American Cancer Society gala honors jockey Victor Espinoza Story and Photography by EDDIE RIVERA, Community Editor Published on Monday, September 21, 2015 | 7:24 pm 3 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Business News Community News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Make a comment Top of the News Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena First Heatwave Expected Next Week center_img Subscribe Community News Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  More Cool Stuff Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy More than three hundred American Cancer Society friends and supporters gathered at Santa Anita Park Saturday evening for the Society’s Annual Gala. Decked out in their finest, the group gathered on the VIP area, before dining at the track’s luxurious Chandelier Room for dinner and entertainment from Dan Olivo and his band.This year’s theme was “Hope Wins,” and honored jockey Victor Espinoza as its 2015 Distinguished Community Honoree. Much to the glee of the event organizers. Espinoza came to the event directly from a studio where was taping a segment of “Dancing with the Stars.”Espinoza is a longtime visitor to the City of Hope in Duarte. As he told the Society, “I started donating because I see kids with cancer, and it just a horrible thing to have to go through. I can’t imagine the parents, how they feel, too. Not just the kids, but the parents, and the entire family.”The American Cancer Society is the largest non-profit cancer-fighting organization in the world. As their website states, “Nearly three million Society volunteers work to conquer cancer and create a work with more birthdays, by helping provide free programs and services to cancer patients across the nation.”This year’s event was chaired by Mary Bowser and Naomi Farley. HerbeautyTips From A Professional Stylist On How To Look Stunning In 2020HerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Lies You Should Stop Telling Yourself Right NowHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyThe Most Heartwarming Moments Between Father And DaughterHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty8 Easy Exotic Meals Anyone Can MakeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Reasons Why The Lost Kilos Are Regained AgainHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWhat Is It That Actually Makes French Women So Admirable?HerbeautyHerbeauty faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimeslast_img read more

New appeal for information on Gussie Shanahan’s death

first_imgWhatsApp Email Print NewsCommunityNew appeal for information on Gussie Shanahan’s deathBy Staff Reporter – May 16, 2019 515 Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Vicky calls for right to die with dignity TAGSAengus ‘Gussie’ ShanahanappealCommunityNews Facebook The poster issued by the family of Aengus ‘Gussie’ Shanahan.THE family of a Limerick man whose partial skeletal remains were discovered in 2001, have issued a fresh appeal for information about his death.Aengus ‘Gussie’ Shanahan was last seen alive, aged 20, in his native Limerick city, on February 11, 2000.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Bone fragments belonging to him were found washed up in Co Clare on October 28, 2001, by members of Bunratty Search and Rescue Service.However, the partial remains were only confirmed as belonging to Gussie last year following improvements in DNA technology.A Garda review of the case, launched late last year, is still continuing.Mr Shanahan’s family have now launched a fresh campaign for information which includes a confidential telephone line 087-1222950 that will be manned by family members.Gussie’s sister, Grainne Shanahan, said she and her family believe he was murdered.“We are going with this new appeal because this is a different chapter in the case. We have laid him to rest, but we still want answers as to what happened to Gussie.”Ms Shanahan appealed directly to people who have information about her brother’s disappearance for anyone with information about the death to let them know what happened.She particularly appealed to a man who contacted her father Bob Shanahan years previously with possible information about the case.“The man rang my Dad and said that Gussie had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. We’d like to hear from that man again, and anyone that knows what happened on the night Gussie disappeared.”A poster released by the Shanahan family reads: “JUSTICE FOR GUSSIE…So many Unanswered Questions??? Did He Suffer? Was He Alone? We Need Your Help…Help us get the answers.”Ms Shanahan said any information given to the family would be treated in “strict confidence”.Gussie’s bone fragments were laid to rest beside his late mother Nancy last November following his funeral mass.Bob Shanahan, speaking prior to the funeral, said hearing confirmation from Gardaí that the bone fragments found 17 years earlier belonged to his missing son, was like being “struck by a thunderbolt”.The investigation team at Roxboro Road Garda Station can be contacted at 061-214340 or on the Garda Confidential Line 1800-666-111.by David [email protected] RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORcenter_img Population of Mid West region increased by more than 3,000 in past year Advertisement Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Limerick on Covid watch list Previous articleThere’s still a job to be done on the right to workNext articleLimerick FC players vote in favour of strike action Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Twitterlast_img read more

Bengal Bouts to kick off 90th-annual tournament

first_imgThursday marks the beginning of the 90th Bengal Bouts competition, a series of boxing tournaments put on by Notre Dame’s boxing club to raise money for a number of Holy Cross-run institutions in Bangladesh.These institutions, which include hospitals and primary schools, are mostly located in the rural areas of the nation, where poverty is most severe. Bengal Bouts has been raising money for these institutions for a number of years and have donated a total of over $2.5 million throughout the course of the tournament’s existence. Nola Wallace | The Observer Bengal Bouts captains Tim Leisenring, Parker Revers and Taylor Vucinich are among several boxers who will participate in the annual tournament, which begins Thursday evening.“There are a lot of reasons why we do the Bouts, whether it to stay in shape, for competition or for the camaraderie of the team,” junior and boxing club captain Kyle Mettler said. “However, the most important aspect of Bengal Bouts is, without a doubt, the mission we are working towards: raising money for those less fortunate in Bangladesh.”According to senior and club president Parker Revers, the tournaments have raised at least $100,000 every single year since 2009. This year, the club is setting its goal at $200,000.“We work directly with the Development Office all year to help reach donors, alumni and previous boxers to try and get them back on campus,” Revers said.This year’s Bengal Bouts are split into 10 distinct weight classes, each of which has its own tournament ranging from eight to 16 boxers. Revers emphasized the club did not want any of their participants resorting to dangerous behavior to cut weight.“We’re students first, we want to make sure people are eating healthy and not attempting to shed weight for a fight,” he said.Each of the boxers is ranked according to skill and then seeded accordingly.“Every one of the boxers participating [is] required to do at least three spars,” Revers said. “After these spars, we come together as coaches and captains to rank the fighters in the different weight classes.”Though the tournaments are mostly organized by the Notre Dame boxing club, there are several other organizations that contribute to Bengal Bouts’ success.“We work with RecSports because we fall under them, as well as Halftime. [And] for the national anthem, Notre Dame’s marketing department to broadcast the Bouts,” Revers said. “And also the Office of Information Technologies, who help us stream the fights live on Youtube.”The participating boxers have come to Bengal Bouts for a variety of reasons.“I got into boxing mostly to supplement a university sport that I was planning on playing here at Notre Dame,” Mettler said. “I tried it out freshman year and ended up getting hooked.”Each of the boxing club captains will be participating in the Bouts, including Mettler and Revers. The rest of the captains are seniors Taylor Vucinich, Tim Leisenring, Johnny Link, Chris Lembo and Eric Requet and juniors Lenny Calvo, Bo Heatherman, Dan O’Brien and Ryan Smith.Preliminaries for the Bouts begin Thursday at 7 p.m. in Purcell Pavillion. The finals will take place Feb. 29 at 7 p.m. in Purcell Pavilion. Tickets are $30 for access to all four rounds of fighting or $10 for access to individual rounds.Tags: Bengal Bouts, Notre Dame Boxing Clublast_img read more

Getting drier

first_imgBy David Emory StooksburyUniversity ofGeorgiaModerate drought conditions have returned to parts of Georgia,generally south of a line from Toccoa to Atlanta to Franklin.North of this line the state ranges from abnormally dry to milddrought. Conditions are best north and west of Atlanta.The driest part of the state is east of a Toccoa-to-Cairo line.Most places in this region have had less than 12 inches of rainthis year. Normal rainfall would be 18 to 26 inches since Jan. 1.Rainfall deficits for Jan. 1 through May 25 for major citiesinclude: Athens, 10.84 inches; Atlanta, 8.94; Augusta, 6.31;Columbus, 7.44; Macon, 5.39; and Savannah, 5.50.Dry dirtJust as important is the moisture loss from the soils throughevaporation and transpiration (plant water use).Because of the early arrival of temperatures in the upper 80s tolower 90s, moisture loss from the soils has accelerated over thepast couple of weeks.In a normal year, soil moisture increases between Jan. 1 and theend of May. The increase would range from more than 4 inches indrier places to more than 12 inches in the wetter mountain areas.For many places in Georgia, soil moisture has dropped since Jan.1. Alma has had a soil moisture loss of 5.74 inches, Cairo 3.88inches, Camilla 2.30, Dearing 2.58, Griffin 1.35, Jonesboro 2.01, Plains 2.23, Savannah 3.25, Statesboro 5.00, Valdosta 4.12and Watkinsville 1.19.Early summerAcross north Georgia, soil moisture has increased since Jan. 1.However, the amount of increase is well below normal. Sitesreporting soil moisture increases include Alpharetta, 2.65inches; Atlanta (Clark-Atlanta University), 0.02; Blairsville,5.06; Dunwoody, 1.33; LaFayette, 3.43; and Rome, 8.80.Soil moisture data is from the 50-plus weather stations in theUniversity of Georgia Automated Environmental Monitoring Network.Now that we’ve entered late May, soil moisture loss throughevaporation and transpiration is normally greater than rainfall.So even with normal rainfall, the soils will keep drying outthrough early October.Streams lowU.S. Geological Survey stream gauges are showing extremely lowflows across the entire state, except the northwest corner.Several stations have stream flows at 25 percent to 50 percent of normal for late May. Record to near-record low flows for late May are found in southeast Georgia.Based on USGS data, groundwater didn’t get normal recharges lastwinter. With record to near-record dryness in March throughmid-May and increased irrigation, groundwater levels arebeginning to drop. Many monitoring wells in southwest Georgia are near levels last seen in late 2002, when Georgia was recovering from the 1998-2002 drought.The normal recharge season for groundwater is over. Levels areexpected to keep dropping through summer into fall.Lakes, tooBecause of abundant rainfall from September 2002 through June2003 and prudent management by the Army Corps of Engineers, thestate’s major reservoirs are in good shape.However, smaller lakes and farm ponds are beginning to showdrought impacts. If the low inflow into the major reservoirscontinues, water levels will soon begin to drop noticeably.Dry on the farmThe major drought impact so far has been in agriculture.The Georgia Agricultural Statistics Service reports that somefarmers are reevaluating their options.Hay production is down. Some growers have had to do supplementalfeeding because of the poor quality of pastures. Pastureconditions are especially in poor shape across middle Georgia.Irrigation is being used to supplement low soil moisture.Get used to itThere is little hope for short-term recovery. Widespreadsignificant rains don’t seem likely until at least the weekend.Temperatures are expected to be in the upper 80s to middle 90sacross the entire state except the mountains.Drought conditions are expected to continue through summer.Tropical activity is usually the only hope of widespread droughtrelief during the summer. Scattered afternoon and eveningthunderstorms can bring temporary local relief but usually won’tend a regional drought.Because of the dry conditions, extra water conservation measuresare encouraged. Suggestions are available from your county UGAExtension Service office or local water utility.Comprehensive updated drought information is atwww.georgiadrought.org.Real-time weather conditions, includingsoil moisture balance, is at www.georgiaweather.net.(David Emory Stooksbury is the state climatologist and aprofessor of engineering and atmospheric sciences in theUniversity of Georgia College of Agricultural and EnvironmentalSciences.)last_img read more