Russian Premier League adopts ‘passionate bear’ logo

first_img0Shares0000Russia is following England’s lead with an animal logo for its top football league © AFP / Alexander NEMENOVMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Apr 16 – Russia’s Premier League is following the lead of its English counterparts by launching an animal logo to win over fans: a red-eyed bear.While the English top flight has its iconic royal blue lion, Russia has launched a logo of its own national animal just two months ahead of the World Cup kick-off in the country. The Moscow design studio behind Monday’s re-branding announcement described the animal on its website as: “A bear with eyes burning with passion.”Russia’s club football has struggled for recognition in the post-Soviet era despite being ranked sixth by European governing body UEFA.Its reputation has been blotted by hooliganism and ramshackle stadiums built by Communist Party planners who valued austerity over comfort.Teams such as Spartak Moscow and Zenit Saint Peterburg have faithful followings at home but are hardly a draw outside Russia.The Russian Premier League hopes that is about to change.The infusion of 12 new or refurbished arenas now opening at great expense for the World Cup is set to transform how the game looks and feels.The Russian football association has started making a profit and is thinking up ways to capture a broader audience on TV.This is where the black bear comes in.The fierce looking beast — replete with blood-red triangular eyes — is meant to replace a bland 17-year-old logo featuring the map of Russia on a ball.A spokesman for the Premier League said it may still undergo some finishing touches depending on what team owners and the fans say.The league said in a statement it was hoping to use the new brand to “help create entertaining, competitive and commercially successful” football.The reception so far has been one of pleasant surprise.“The new Russian Premier League logo is actually not that bad,” popular sports commentator Vasily Utkin wrote in a blog.Editors behind Moscow’s Sportbox.ru website immediately ran a poll asking: “What looks sharper — the English lion or the Russian bear?”The bear won by a handsome margin despite some fans saying in their responses that it looked either psychedelic or “on drugs”.Russia has turned to its national symbol in times of need in the past.The ruling United Russia party adopted the animal in its logo as part of its appeal to voters in the first years of President Vladimir Putin’s rule.It was the mascot of Moscow’s 1980 Summer Olympics and is the symbol of Russia’s special forces and various army units.Utkin, though, admitted that a spunky new bear on its own will probably not do all that much to make Russian football more attractive.“But no logo ever did that — not in flourishing leagues or in problematic ones like ours,” Utkin wrote.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

RHE property owner avoids jail for now

first_imgLinares, a 51-year-old father of three, said outside of the Torrance Courthouse that he was relieved but remained weary of the legal fight remaining ahead. “It’s a never-ending thing,” said Linares, flanked by friends and family, including some who held signs reading: “A fence is no offense” and “Shame on you Judge Thompson.” “Having him sent to jail for a fence is a little too harsh,” said family friend Mona Galvez. “If the city wanted it torn down, they should have torn it down.” After the Daily Breeze reported last week about Linares’ legal fight, his case grabbed national media attention, with many criticizing the city and Thompson for sending him to jail. Linares’ troubles began when he called the city to ask for repairs of a termite-infested wooden fence along a bridle trail that borders his property in the 4600 block of Palos Verdes Drive North. He was told the fence was on his property and was his responsibility. So he fixed it, placing it back in the same spot. But he was told he illegally built on city property. He was also told the stone columns he erected on either side of his driveway were on city property and a block wall he put along his steep driveway was too high. Three misdemeanors were filed against Linares in Torrance Superior Court in October 2004 for the fence, posts and wall. Eight more counts were later filed after city investigators determined other elements – including a gazebo, some plumbing and retaining walls – were out of compliance. In January, Linares pleaded no contest to five charges on the condition that he pull the proper permits or demolish the offending structures within six months, or go to jail for six months. Linares and city officials disagree on whether Linares complied. He believes he applied for the permits and the city hasn’t ruled, while the city has said he did not file the proper paperwork and no permit applications are pending. Linares asked the judge last week if he could withdraw his guilty plea, but Thompson refused. Thursday’s hearing was an attempt to obtain what is called a “certificate of probable cause” from Thompson that would allow Linares to appeal the judge’s refusal to the Superior Court’s Appellate Division. Dean Pucci, an attorney who contracts as Rolling Hills Estates’ city prosecutor, argued that the “bottom line” is that Linares did not obtain the final permits or demolish the structures, so he should not be allowed to keep fighting. In denying the certificate, the judge agreed with Pucci and found Linares’ arguments were frivolous. The judge said she was frustrated that Linares wasn’t doing more to comply with the terms of his plea agreement, and acknowledged she would likely never agree with his position that he’s done what he can. “I think the best thing for us to do is move on,” she said. By setting bail, though, she took away the impending threat of incarceration and gave Linares more time to take the case to a higher level. Richard Hamar, Linares’ attorney, said the next step is to appeal Thompson’s denial of the certificate to the Appellate Division. He is also appealing the sentence. “My big goal today (Thursday) was to keep Francisco out of jail,” Hamar told reporters. “That would have been a travesty.” Hamar reiterated his in-court arguments that Linares has done everything possible to get the permits, but the city is making it impossible to comply because it’s ignoring him. Linares told Thompson last week that his records show he has spent 142 hours in his quest for permits. “She should ask the city why I don’t have permits and the city should tell why I don’t have permits,” Linares added. Linares said he only agreed to the plea deal because Pucci threatened to file felony forgery charges against him if he didn’t. The basis for that allegation was a document that Hamar said was reviewed by a handwriting expert, who determined it was not a forgery. Linares, however, was not given time to review it before taking the plea deal, Hamar said. Linares and Hamar say the terms of the deal were “fuzzy” because they don’t account for what happens if Linares applies for the permits, but they aren’t ruled on. Hamar said his client is the unwitting recipient of the “tyranny and abuse and evil and the dark side of this city.” They hope the Appellate Division lets him withdraw his plea so the case can go to trial. If Linares remains unsuccessful, though, and ultimately ends up in jail, he may still lose the disputed fixtures at his 3,000-square-foot French-country home. Julie Biggs, a public law attorney at Burke Williams & Sorensen who is not involved in Linares’ case, said the city may obtain permission to take down the structures through a civil action or court order. Then the city can file a lien against the property for the costs of the demolition and legal fees, Biggs said. “The city cannot go onto private property without a court order, however,” Biggs added. Redondo Beach City Attorney Mike Webb said, depending on Rolling Hills Estates’ laws, Linares may still be subject to further criminal charges for maintaining the nuisance that violates law. “It’s a situation where the laws have got to apply to everybody and, certainly, that’s a last step,” Webb said. “I find it troubling that so many people have criticized the judge in this case,” Webb added. “Judge Thompson is a judge who will give people chances, but expects them to live up to their responsibilities.” [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Denise Nix STAFF WRITER A Rolling Hills Estates man prosecuted for building a fence and other structures that violate city code will not have to surrender to jail Monday for a six-month sentence, but must post $100,000 bail, a judge ruled Thursday. However, Superior Court Judge Sandra Thompson remained steadfast in her opinion that Francisco Linares hasn’t done enough to comply with the Municipal Code and did not find any merit to his argument that he had grounds to withdraw his plea deal. last_img read more

Hospital apologises after failures left baby with cerebral palsy

first_imgThe General Manager of Letterkenny University Hospital has apologised after failings during the birth of a baby boy caused life-changing trauma.An interim settlement of €2.5million was approved today for Jack McGahern Donaghey, of Drumfergus, Killygordon, who suffered an irreversible brain injury and has cerebral palsy as a result of complications during his birth, RTE News reports. The High Court heard that Jack suffered a lack of oxygen to his brain during his birth on 5th August 2015.His parents Denise McGahern and Seamus Donaghey sued the hospital over the management of his birth.They said there was a failure to monitor, read or interpret the CTG during labour and a failure to anticipate the need for resuscitation immediately after birth.The court heard that Jack, now aged four, requires 24/7 care, has limited movement and speech, and needs help with feeding and dressing.General Manager Sean Murphy issued an apology, which was read in the High Court. Mr Murphy expressed “sincere apologies for the failings that caused the injuries to Jack and the consequential trauma suffered” by him and his parents.The letter added that the hospital “understands that neither this apology nor the financial compensation granted by the court can negate the continuing heartache that the McGahern Donaghey family must feel every day and appreciate that this continues to be a very difficult time for you.”The HSE agreed to an interim settlement of €2.5m for a period of ten years for Jack’s care needs. Mr Justice Kevin Cross said the case would return to court to agree on an overall settlement in ten year’s time.Read more at: www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1220/1102367-jack-mcgahern/Hospital apologises after failures left baby with cerebral palsy was last modified: December 20th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more