Facebook by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected]“THE most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land”, according to a Limerick barrister.Defence counsel Mark Nicholas BL, made his comments during the sentencing hearing of a Limerick man accused of threatening to kill a business owner in a dispute over a right of way to his home.Brian Healy (48) of Sexton Street North pleaded guilty to threatening to kill Patrick Moloney at the Woodworkers store in Thomondgate on May 19, 2012.Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Detective Garda Keith Harmon, who said there had been difficulties in the past between the two men over a “common area or passageway” between Mr Healy’s home and the Woodworkers store owned by Mr Moloney.On May 19, 2012, Mr Healy was walking to his mother’s house where he lived when Mr Moloney came out from his shop. A n argument ensued and Mr Healy said he had a gun and would use it to shoot Mr Moloney.He also threatened to “burn out” the business and slit Mr Moloney’s throat.Mr Moloney’s father was waiting for his son in a car nearby and made a statement to Gardaí of overhearing the exchange.Prosecuting counsel John O’Sullivan said it caused great distress to Mr. Moloney.Mr Healy attempted to goad Mr Moloney into hitting him. There was no physical altercation between the two men and no further incidents since.Detective Harmon said Mr Healy admitted he threatened to “knock him out” but denied saying he would use a gun.Gardaí did not search Mr Healy’s home for a gun.Mark Nicholas BL said that his client, who had no previous convictions, regretted what happened and he had no intention of harming Mr Moloney.“The most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land,” he said, adding that the house, which was owned by his client’s mother until she died, was to be sold.Applying the probation act, Judge Carroll Moran said that Brian Healy said some “very unpleasant things but he had a previous good record and there was no issue between the two parties since.“If he does it again or anything similar, he will likely go to jail”, the judge warned. Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement NewsCommunityLand rights cause people to act in crazy waysBy Staff Reporter – February 6, 2014 1178 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedin Print Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley report Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Email TAGSassaultCourtland rightsMusic Limerickthreatswoodworkers store Previous articleJFK and Brian BorúNext articleBurglar jailed after found hiding in wardrobe Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday
By Dialogo May 14, 2010 Bangladesh will send its first all-female contingent of police officers on a United Nations peacekeeping mission, to help with reconstruction in quake-devastated Haiti, police said Thursday. “A 110-strong battalion of female peacekeepers, will fly to Haiti on May 15,” police spokesman Shyamol Kumar Mukharjee told AFP. “We will become the second country ever, after India, to deploy an all-female peacekeeping contingent,” he said, adding his country was “happy” to be able to help with the post-quake reconstruction effort. The South Asian nation agreed to send additional peacekeepers to Haiti in January when the UN requested help after the massive earthquake struck. Another 100 Bangladeshi male peacekeepers will be deployed on May 19, and will join a 20-member team that is already in place, Mukharjee added. Bangladesh, which makes the second-largest contribution to UN peacekeeping missions after Pakistan, has over 1,600 police currently deployed in seven countries including Sudan, East Timor, the Ivory Coast and Liberia. Since 1989, when the Bangladeshi police force first sent its officers on a UN peacekeeping mission, in Namibia, the total number of police who have served overseas stands at 6,369.
At the expiration of a 10-year sponsorship deal with the then NFA, the competition went back to its former name, Federation Cup.Meanwhile, the management of FC Ifeanyi Ubah, which is popularly known as the Anambra Warriors, yesterday urged all football lovers, all Ndi Igbo in Lagos and its indefatigable fans all over the country to grace this great occasion.FC Ifeanyi Ubah management declared free entry for everyone coming to watch the game, while free buses have been made available to convey supporters to the stadium.President of FC Ifeanyi Ubah, Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah in a bid to ensure that the match is well covered, has invited all Anambra-based radio and television sports On-Air personalities and reporters to grace the occasion.He said; “We kindly crave your usual support and indulgence as we look to lift this trophy which will automatically hand us a ticket for the CAF Confederation Cup come next season. We wish you a safe trip to Lagos as you gladly join us in making history. May God continue to bless and strengthen you as you keep on supporting us.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram FC Ifeanyi Uba are on the verge of making history today if they beat Nasarawa United in the FA Cup finals taking place today at the Teslim Balagun Stadium in Lagos by 3pm. Since the creation of Anambra State, no club from the state has ever won the trophy.The FA Cup, virtually the oldest football competition in Nigeria, will witness for the first time, two teams that have never been to the final of the championship. The competition which started as War Memorial Challenge Cup in 1942, had ZAC Bombers of Lagos winning the maiden edition though it was then limited to clubs based in Lagos.The cup was renamed Governor’s Cup with improved format in 1945 and in 1954, it was again renamed Federation Cup after the promulgation of Nigeria Football Association (NFA). In 1960, after a revised format the competition, it was renamed Challenge Cup until 1999 when soft drink bottlers, Coca-Cola took up the sponsorship and consequently named it Coca-Cola FA Cup.