Facebook by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected]“THE most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land”, according to a Limerick barrister.Defence counsel Mark Nicholas BL, made his comments during the sentencing hearing of a Limerick man accused of threatening to kill a business owner in a dispute over a right of way to his home.Brian Healy (48) of Sexton Street North pleaded guilty to threatening to kill Patrick Moloney at the Woodworkers store in Thomondgate on May 19, 2012.Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Detective Garda Keith Harmon, who said there had been difficulties in the past between the two men over a “common area or passageway” between Mr Healy’s home and the Woodworkers store owned by Mr Moloney.On May 19, 2012, Mr Healy was walking to his mother’s house where he lived when Mr Moloney came out from his shop. A n argument ensued and Mr Healy said he had a gun and would use it to shoot Mr Moloney.He also threatened to “burn out” the business and slit Mr Moloney’s throat.Mr Moloney’s father was waiting for his son in a car nearby and made a statement to Gardaí of overhearing the exchange.Prosecuting counsel John O’Sullivan said it caused great distress to Mr. Moloney.Mr Healy attempted to goad Mr Moloney into hitting him. There was no physical altercation between the two men and no further incidents since.Detective Harmon said Mr Healy admitted he threatened to “knock him out” but denied saying he would use a gun.Gardaí did not search Mr Healy’s home for a gun.Mark Nicholas BL said that his client, who had no previous convictions, regretted what happened and he had no intention of harming Mr Moloney.“The most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land,” he said, adding that the house, which was owned by his client’s mother until she died, was to be sold.Applying the probation act, Judge Carroll Moran said that Brian Healy said some “very unpleasant things but he had a previous good record and there was no issue between the two parties since.“If he does it again or anything similar, he will likely go to jail”, the judge warned. Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement NewsCommunityLand rights cause people to act in crazy waysBy Staff Reporter – February 6, 2014 1178 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedin Print Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley report Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Email TAGSassaultCourtland rightsMusic Limerickthreatswoodworkers store Previous articleJFK and Brian BorúNext articleBurglar jailed after found hiding in wardrobe Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday
WLS(CHICAGO) — A tenth child has died from a blaze that erupted in a Chicago home early Sunday.The victims range in age from 3 months to 16 years old and are from at least two families, according to ABC station WLS in Chicago.The death toll first stood at eight, with two teenagers in the hospital in critical condition. But one of the survivors, a 14-year-old boy, died on Monday, according to WLS. The second survivor died on Tuesday, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. The children were at a sleepover when the fire started, 15-year-old Marcos Contreras told The Chicago Tribune.“By the time we got here, the whole house was on fire,” he said. “They were taking out my cousins and my brothers.” Contreras lost brothers, sisters and cousins in the blaze, WLS reported.“It just feels like my whole world is crashing,” he said. “We stuck together like glue. Nothing could separate us.” The home did not have any working smoke detectors, according to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.“The fire began in the rear and the exit to the front was clear but without working smoke detectors the occupants were not awakened in time to get to safety,” the mayor said in a statement Sunday. “Our thoughts go out to not only the families of those who perished but to members of the department who pushed as hard as possible to reverse the deadly fate of the eight who are now gone,” the mayor added.The cause of the fire is under investigation, WLS said.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.