Land rights cause people to act in crazy ways

first_imgFacebook by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected]“THE most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land”, according to a Limerick barrister.Defence counsel Mark Nicholas BL, made his comments during the sentencing hearing of a Limerick man accused of threatening to kill a business owner in a dispute over a right of way to his home.Brian Healy (48) of Sexton Street North pleaded guilty to threatening to kill Patrick Moloney at the Woodworkers store in Thomondgate on May 19, 2012.Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Detective Garda Keith Harmon, who said there had been difficulties in the past between the two men over a “common area or passageway” between Mr Healy’s home and the Woodworkers store owned by Mr Moloney.On May 19, 2012, Mr Healy was walking to his mother’s house where he lived when Mr Moloney came out from his shop. A n argument ensued and Mr Healy said he had a gun and would use it to shoot Mr Moloney.He also threatened to “burn out” the business and slit Mr Moloney’s throat.Mr Moloney’s father was waiting for his son in a car nearby and made a statement to Gardaí of overhearing the exchange.Prosecuting counsel John O’Sullivan said it caused great distress to Mr. Moloney.Mr Healy attempted to goad Mr Moloney into hitting him. There was no physical altercation between the two men and no further incidents since.Detective Harmon said Mr Healy admitted he threatened to “knock him out” but denied saying he would use a gun.Gardaí did not search Mr Healy’s home for a gun.Mark Nicholas BL said that his client, who had no previous convictions, regretted what happened and he had no intention of harming Mr Moloney.“The most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land,” he said, adding that the house, which was owned by his client’s mother until she died, was to be sold.Applying the probation act, Judge Carroll Moran said that Brian Healy said some “very unpleasant things but he had a previous good record and there was no issue between the two parties since.“If he does it again or anything similar, he will likely go to jail”, the judge warned. Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement NewsCommunityLand rights cause people to act in crazy waysBy Staff Reporter – February 6, 2014 1178 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedin Print Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley reportcenter_img Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Email TAGSassaultCourtland rightsMusic Limerickthreatswoodworkers store Previous articleJFK and Brian BorúNext articleBurglar jailed after found hiding in wardrobe Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday last_img read more

Central Islip Woman High in Crash With School Bus, Cops Say

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A woman has been arrested for driving while high on drugs after she crashed head-on into a school bus for children with disabilities in her hometown of Central Islip on Wednesday morning, Suffolk County police said.Tyajia Anthony was driving a Jeep southbound on Connetquot Avenue when her vehicle crossed over the double yellow line and struck a Suffolk Transportation Service school bus near the corner of Ridge Avenue, causing both to catch fire shortly after 8 a.m.Two wheelchair-bound 5-year-old boys, two aides and the driver on the bus that was destined for an AHRC school were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. The driver and aides were treated for minor injuries but the children were not hurt.The 29-year-old suspect was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.She will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Central Islip.last_img read more

Betfred scores Vitality Netball World Cup sponsorship deal

first_img Betfred boosts US racing coverage with XB Net deal renewal August 10, 2020 UK bookmaker Betfred has confirmed that it has been chosen as the new primary sponsor for the upcoming Vitality Netball World Cup, which is set to take place in Liverpool next month.The high-profile partnership for Betfred marks the operator’s continued growth to its sports sponsorship network, with the Vitality Netball World Cup already reporting that its ticket sales recently surpassed 95,000.Speaking about the new partnership, Betfred boss Fred Done celebrated the opportunity. He commented: “I am absolutely delighted to add the Betfred name to the 2019 Netball World Cup, especially with the entire tournament being held in the North West.”The event will bring together 16 of the world’s most highly ranked teams, including the England Roses and comes at a crucial time for the development of both netball and women’s sport across the UK.Event Director Lindsay Impett added: “We’re delighted to welcome such a well-recognised name on board ahead of this July. This news shows how netball as a sport is going from strength to strength, attracting new and exciting partnerships such as this one with Betfred. Hopefully with their support we will continue to raise netball’s profile.”Betfred also recently unveiled as the primary sponsor of Super League, in what the league descried as its ‘biggest commercial deal ever’.As part of the two-year extension, Betfred will continue as the lead sponsor of the Super League until the end of season 2021, extending a partnership it has maintained since 2017. Betfred extends World Snooker Championship deal until 2022 August 17, 2020 Share Related Articles Betfred counters Oppenheimer bid in race to rescue Phumelela August 26, 2020 Submit Share StumbleUponlast_img read more

FansUnite accelerates wagering ambitions by acquiring McBookie for $2m

first_img England’s casinos to reopen on 1 August July 17, 2020 BGC – Scotland and Wales must come clear on casino reopenings July 28, 2020 Related Articles Share Scottish bookmaker McBookie (McBookie.com) has confirmed the sale of its business to Canadian sports-tech group, FansUnite Entertainment Inc.McBookie Managing Director Paul Petrie confirmed that a $2.2 million agreement had been reached with Vancouver-based FansUnite, which listed on the Canadian Securities Exchange earlier this month in a bid to expand its sports wagering capacity.Launched in 2009 by former Tote executives Damian Walker and Petrie, McBookie currently trades as a specialist bookmaker pricing Scottish marketplaces.Confirming the deal, Petrie stated: “McBookie has a very strong brand and with the added marketing resources behind us we see lots of great opportunities ahead. The Scottish sports betting market is still largely undervalued by the big operators, who at best treat Scottish customers as an afterthought, whereas we will continue to put them at the front and centre of our offering.”Since 2012, FansUnite has served as a sports analytics platform, supplying diverse clients crowdsourced insights and predictive modules for multiple sports disciplines.By listing on the CSE exchange, the Vancouver technology outfit seeks to rapidly amplify its sports betting capabilities for a changing global sports scene.Commenting on the investment, FansUnite CEO Darius Eghdami said: “McBookie is our first major acquisition and we are really excited about the massive potential for growth for the brand. The Scottish betting market is a significant one and we aim to greatly increase McBookie’s market share.” Submit StumbleUpon Share John Williamson to oversee UK Tote Group’s international growth August 28, 2020last_img read more