February 11, 2021 Find out more Uzbekistan is ranked 158th in the worldwide press freedom index for 2006. Organisation New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council News Receive email alerts News to go further May 11, 2021 Find out more UzbekistanEurope – Central Asia UzbekistanEurope – Central Asia November 8, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Welcome for release of Ulugbek Khaidarov but other journalists remain in prison Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Uzbekistan October 15, 2020 Find out more More than six years in prison for Uzbek blogger who covered corruption Reporters Without Borders welcomed the unexpected release of freelance journalist Ulugbek Khaidarov who was jailed for six years on 5 October 2006 after being wrongly charged with “extortion and blackmail”. He was set free, to general surprise, immediately after the adjournment of his appeal hearing. His release should not allow the constant injustice suffered by journalists to be forgotten, the worldwide press freedom organisation said. Uzbek blogger facing possible 10-year jail term News News RSF_en The pro-opposition journalist who had been sentenced to six years by a court in Jizak, central Uzbekistan, just over a month earlier was set free on 7 November just after his appeal hearing, to have been held on that day was adjourned by the judge, Makhmud Kuldachev, for personal reasons.Later in the day, the judge contacted the journalist’s family to tell them that he had made a ruling at his home and concluded that Khaidarov was innocent. He was released soon afterwards and has been able to visit his family in Andijan.“This release was unexpected and we can only welcome this news and share the relief of Khaidarov and his family,” the organisation said. “However we do not forget the brutal repression suffered by journalists in Uzbekistan and that injustice is the rule which is most respected by the government of Islam Karimov. The very circumstances of the release of Ulugbek Khaidarov, outside all legal framework, drives it home yet again. Finally, we hope that the release of Ulugbek Khaidarov is not a diplomatic and opportunist move, given that Council of Europe sanctions against Uzbekistan, passed after the bloody crackdown againts demonstrators in Andijan in May 2005, are shortly to be reviewed”, it added.“In particular we condemn the fact that the president’s nephew, Jamshid Karimov, an independent journalist and colleague of Khaidarov’s, was placed in a psychiatric hospital by the Uzbek authorities after his disappearance on 12 September. No-one has been able to visit him, no medical reason has been cited and he is set to remain in hospital for at least another five months. These methods recall the dark days of the Soviet era, in which dissidents were often brought to heel by being sent to mental hospitals.”Police arrested Khaidarov on 14 September 2006 after a woman slipped some money into his pocket as he waited for a bus. They pounced just a few seconds later but not before he had thrown the money on the ground. Since then he has been held in prison in Jizak.
Facebook Previous articleLimerick men urged to mind their mental healthNext articleSisters, swing out to Limerick City Big Band Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live WhatsApp Advertisement Linkedin NewsLocal NewsLimerick medical card holders wrongly charged for blood testsBy Alan Jacques – December 12, 2015 922 TAGSblood testsCllr Maurice QuinlivanHSElimerickmedical cardsSinn Fein Cllr Maurice Quinlivanby Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Maurice QuinlivanA NUMBER of medical card holders in Limerick are being charged for blood tests by their GPs despite the fact they are entitled to this free service as part of existing service contracts with the HSE.People have contacted Sinn Féin General Election candidate for Limerick City, Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, in the last couple of weeks to express their confusion at being charged despite being eligible for free general medical services.Describing the charge as “absolutely unacceptable”, Cllr Quinlivan has advised those who had been charged that they are entitled to a full refund from the HSE.“A number of medical card holders have made contact with me to seek clarification and advice after being charged for blood tests. This is absolutely unacceptable as blood tests are free of charge to medical card holders as part of existing service contracts with the HSE and under the 1970 Health Act,” he explained.“I am quite shocked that this has been happening as I am aware that the HSE has written to contract holders a few times to clarify that the position with regards to phlebotomy services. That being said, I have also heard stories of posters being put up in some GP surgeries notifying all medical card patients that they will be charged €15 for blood tests from January 1 next.”Cllr Quinlivan insists that it is extremely important that the HSE communicates the position regarding provision of such services to contract holders.“This may have to be done more forcefully or with more clarity as it is clear that the message is not getting through in some cases. It has to be made very clear to all GPs that this not allowable or acceptable.“My foremost concern is for the welfare of medical card holder who are obviously not in a position to absorb the cost of such payments. Our GPs are a vital part of our communities. The vast majority have a very good understanding of their contractual obligations. However, it is clear that some, whatever the reasons may be, are not sticking to the terms of their contracts”, Cllr Quinlivan concluded.In response, the HSE told the Limerick Post that it has been made aware of instances where GPs have charged General Medical Services (GMS) patients inappropriately for phlebotomy (drawing blood) services. They have written to GP contract holders and clarified the position in relation to charging for phlebotomy.“A GP is expected to provide patients who hold a medical card or GP visit card with all proper and necessary treatment of a kind generally undertaken by a GP and not requiring special skill or experience of a degree or kind which GPs cannot reasonably be expected to possess.“A medical practitioner should not charge for these services or for travelling or for other expenses, premises, equipment or instruments in making the services available. In circumstances where the taking of blood is necessary, the GP may not charge that patient if they are eligible for free GMS services”.Medical card patients who feel they have been inappropriately charged for phlebotomy services can email [email protected] RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Twitter Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Print
Olawale AjimotokanÂ Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, has congratulated British-Nigerian boxer, Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua, on clinching the unified world heavyweight title.This was made known via a statement released by his Special Adviser on media and publicity, Turaki Hassan, in Abuja on Monday.“I would like to congratulate the world heavyweight champion, Anthony Olaseni Joshua, for this great feat that he has achieved. His dedication, discipline and commitment to boxing has paid off, as his is now a household name.” “The young man’s affinity for Nigeria is also apparent and commendable, as he has acknowledged his Nigerian roots in interviews and fully embraced the Nigerian identity.”The Speaker then called on sports development authorities in the country to seize this challenge as impetus to identify and develop home grown talent so that Nigerian athletes may compete on a global scale.“Anthony Joshua’s success should be taken as an indication of what’s possible if we devote the required resources to training our athletes and offering all the support that they need. Many athletes of Nigerian origin represent and win medals for other countries because the environment which we offer is not very conducive, and now is the time to change that.”“Tales of our athletes being owed what’s due to them and the gruelling circumstances in which they have to prepare for tournaments discourage many from engaging in sports, and in cases where they do, we lose such talents to other countries, which are serious about capacity development.“This calls for deep introspection on our part, as there are career opportunities for our teeming youth population outside academic institutions and white collar jobs that corporate entities have to offer.“Young Nigerians have excelled in entertainment, for instance, and gone on to build enviable careers in the creative industry. This, they have managed to achieve without deliberate effort on the part of government and one can only imagine the heights which our youths would attain if we took deliberate steps towards genuinely supporting them in their chosen fields.”“I would like to, once more, congratulate Mr. Joshua, while calling on the Executive (arm of government), through the relevant agencies, to implement policies which would help greatly with developing home grown talent,” concludes the Speaker.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Interfraternity Council leadership reminded presidents during their annual retreat that last year’s social prohibition on The Row still stands, IFC President Pat Lauer said.Party off · The social prohibition placed on Interfraternity Council member fraternities remains from a string of events in 2010-2011. – Carlo Acenas | Daily TrojanLauer reminded presidents of the ban at their retreat Aug. 6 and Aug. 7.“We heard from the administration that if there were any incidents like there were last year it would jeopardize having recruitment altogether,” Lauer said. “We all decided that we didn’t want that to happen.”What the university community has generally called “Pre-Rush” parties, which take place before recruitment, are not allowed this semester because they take place on weekday nights, prohibited by the current ban.Lauer said no exact date had been set to lift the ban, nor had specific provisions for lifting the ban been set. He said he heard that the ban would be lifted around the first week of September.“We’re still working with the vice president’s office to see what we have to do on our part to ensure that social events are safe,” Lauer said. “We want to start the first weeks off with no alcoholic incidents.”Vice President of Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson placed The Row on social prohibition in April for the second time during the 2010-2011 school year after several negative events took place within the Greek community.Last year, a misogynistic email sent on the Kappa Sigma fraternity listserv and photos of a suspended Kappa Sigma appearing to have sex on a USC rooftop spread virally.The Row was first shut down Aug. 30, after 16 IFC chapters were cited for prohibited parties. Eight students were taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.The ban was lifted two weeks later after all 16 fraternities met with the Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards committee and agreed to enforce rules that had been violated that Monday.Fraternities agreed not to let alcoholic beverages outside the house, have large groups of people congregate or play loud music. Sorority presidents signed a letter about preventing irresponsible drinking.
Two Broward Health community health centers are helping children prepare for the school year by offering free immunizations and low-cost physical exams. From July 27 to August 21, children between the ages of 4 and 18 who are uninsured, have Medicaid, or identify as American Indian or Alaska Native, will be able to get immunizations against infectious diseases such as whooping cough, measles, and others. The services will be available at the Braynon Family Health Center in Fort Lauderdale and Broward Health Pompano Pediatric Primary Care Center in Pompano Beach. In Sports News, West Indies cricket veteran Courtney Walsh has joined the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots coaching staff ahead of this month’s start of the CPL, after head coach Simon Helmot tested positive for COVID-19. Helmot, an Australian, said that he was preparing to travel to the Caribbean to assume duties for the tournament, when he obtained the unexpected results. He said he received the results five hours before he was scheduled to depart to Trinidad. Other players and officials began arriving in Trinidad on Monday for the tournament which will run from August 18 to September 10. All persons that will arrive will be quarantined for two weeks and all games will be played without fans in attendance. Now for Caribbean News, The Grenada police have sent a warning to residents that they are fully prepared to enforce the laws in relation to the cancellation of all Carnival-type activities during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The police said that they have observed that many residents have insisted on participating in Carnival activities even though the August 10-11 Spicemas celebrations have been cancelled. They police said all carnival activities are illegal at this time and those caught partying will face consequences. Grenada, which has so far recorded 24 confirmed tests of the virus, is not the only Caribbean country to have postponed their annual carnival celebrations. Antigua, St. Vincent, St. Lucia and Barbados all cancelled their respective celebrations. Jamaica, on the other hand, is still going ahead with carnival plans for October. Coming up in the newscast, Broward health announces free immunizations and exams for uninsured children, Lauderdale Lakes Mayor Hazelle Rogers among the Jamaicans to receive national awards and Grenada’s police warns against those who insist on celebrating carnival. You’ve been watching CNW90, I’m… To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Also In Local News, several Jamaican-Americans were among those named on the list of awardees for this year’s Jamaican National Honors and Awards. The list, which was announced yesterday on Jamaica’s Independence Day, highlights Jamaicans at home and abroad that have been recognized for their contributions to the country in various areas. Pioneer Jamaican American politician Hazelle Rogers, the Mayor of the City of Lauderdale Lakes, is set to receive the order of distinction, the sixth-highest award, for her years of service in the Jamaican diaspora. Other diaspora members receiving the order of distinction are Third World drummer Willie Stewart, former member of the Byron Lee and the Dragonaires band, Keith Lyn, Cedella Marley, Scientist Godfrey Palmer and Khadija “Bunny” Shaw, a member of the Reggae Girlz team and Jamaica’s all-time leading football scorer. Renowned professor at Harvard University, Orlando Patterson, will receive the highest honor this year- the Order of Merit, for his contributions to international academia. The awards will take place on October 19, Jamaica’s National Heroes Day. With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, August 7 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90. Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health; For more information on these and other stories, visit CNWNETWORK.com. Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet. Now for the news in the detail