Dundon seeks judicial review of Geoghegan murder amid taping allegations

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Linkedin WhatsApp Twitter Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement TAGSfeaturedgarda tapingjohn devaneJohn Dundonprison recordings center_img by Andrew Carey | [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up CONVERSATIONS had by convicted murderer John Dundon and his legal team at both garda stations and prisons, alleged to have been recorded by the associated State authorities, will make up the application for a judicial review of the conviction for the murder of innocent rugby player Shane Geoghegan.Speaking in Limerick, Dundon’s defence solicitor John Devane said that he would be seeking the review as telephone conversations in garda stations, including Henry Street, were recorded. He is also alleging that conversations at various prisons were also recorded.The gangland figure was sentenced to life in prison after he was found guilty of the murder of the 28-year-old Garryowen rugby player on November 9, 2008.John Dundon, 30, from Hyde Road in Limerick, was convicted last year and given the mandatory sentence to life in prison, but now his legal team instructed by Mr Devane will set about having the case reviewed and the circumstances surrounding the taping allegations.“While I sympathise with the Geogheghan family obviously. I certainly believe that John Dundon’s telephone calls and consultations were listened to both inside in the garda station and I would go so far as saying also his telephone calls in the prison and to his previous solicitors and also to me,” said Mr Devane.“I am looking at a number of high profile murder cases and I am also looking at some other matters including a couple of rape maters and matters where people have been convicted – I have always believed in the wrong – of IRA membership,” he added.In the wake of the surprise retirement of Martin Callinan from the position of Garda Commissioner amid the prolonged garda sagas, Mr Devane said that the recording of telephone conversation in garda stations was “disgraceful” and said John Dundon’s case would be high on his list of priorities.“I know that prison calls are always recorded and evidence has been gleamed and used in the past even in objections to bail for certain other people because of telephone calls made from the prison to other family members.“It’s an absolute disgrace and to say that the Commissioner didn’t know about that I believe is like the organ grinder not knowing the music that he is playing ….I believe that the current Minister for Justice should do as Commissioner Callinan did and fall on his sword,” he added.The high profile legal aid solicitor has said that he is reviewing a number of cases with counsel that he says were “interfered with” and added that senior garda warned him before that his own phone was being “monitored”.“This is an absolute disgrace. Whatever about my telephone being monitored, I’m not silly enough or stupid enough to advise a client of issues that might be of a sensitive nature over my telephone. But to think that the guards can monitor a conversation that might take place over a telephone or in a garda station is an absolute disgrace,” he said.Mr Devane concluded that he has “suspected for a long, long time and when advising people I have often had to write down my instructions to people so that they would follow rather than saying them out and letting the guards hear the advice I was giving or the answers that I was getting to the questions I was putting to the client.“I have had to write my instructions to the client. That is dreadful in this country where there are laws to protect the citizens against this type of eaves dropping. Watergate eat your heart out!” he added. Email No vaccines in Limerick yet NewsBreaking newsCrime & CourtDundon seeks judicial review of Geoghegan murder amid taping allegationsBy Staff Reporter – April 2, 2014 864 First Irish death from Coronavirus Facebook Previous articleBeauty and her BeastieNext articlePublic urged to continue support for gardai Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more