News US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture Help by sharing this information Organisation to go further News August 28, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Military authorities use all means possible to prevent coverage of current events MyanmarAsia – Pacific News Follow the news on Myanmar May 12, 2021 Find out more MyanmarAsia – Pacific RSF_en Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Receive email alerts RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum May 26, 2021 Find out more May 31, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association firmly condemn the methods being used by the military government to prevent journalists, including those working for foreign media, from covering a wave of unrest in response to an increase in the price of fuel. The two organisations call on European embassies in Rangoon to publicly defend the right of Burmese journalists to work without obstruction.“The military’s response to the wave of protests against price increases since 19 August has again been heavy-handed repression, intimidation and censorship of Burmese journalists,” the two organisations said. “Despite the violence by the military and their bully-boys, reports and pictures of the demonstrations are being seen abroad. This testifies to the courage of the Burmese journalists and demonstrators.”The censorship bureau and the police stepped up controls after the government decided to raise the price of fuel on 15 August.The Burmese correspondents of foreign news media say they been subjected to a great deal of intimidation from plain-clothes police and members of the Union Solidarity and Development Association (the regime’s militia) while covering the recent demonstrations in Rangoon. Armed with spades and iron bars and circulating in army trucks, police and militiamen have been insulting and threatening journalists. An unidentified journalist was roughed up by men in plain clothes as he took pictures of people lining up to take public transport in the capital on 22 August. USDA members and police prevented journalists from approaching a group of street demonstrators in Rangoon the next day. USDA thugs jostled and insulted journalists. A Reuters reporter was forbidden to take pictures of arrests and the police finally seized his cameras.As a result of this intimidation, Agence France-Presse has described coverage of the current events as “delicate.” A journalist working for a foreign news organisation based in Bangkok told Reporters Without Borders that its Burmese stringer had been forced to stay away from the demonstrations because of the constant intimidation. “Men in plain clothes impose an atmosphere of fear around the demonstrations which prevents us from working,” said one Burmese journalist employed by a foreign news organisation. “It is hard to risk being arrested for a photo.”The Rangoon military command has banned journalists from taking photos of demonstrations and has ordered the seizure and destruction of cameras from those who do not comply. In order to hamper the dissemination of reports, the authorities are said to have slowed Internet traffic, even for private companies. According to some accounts, it has become increasingly difficult to access gmail.com and gtalk. Mobile phone networks have also been disrupted since demonstrators began gathering every day in Rangoon last week.Lots of the images and reports of the demonstrations seen abroad have come from demonstrators or amateur journalists. The magazine Irrawaddy has paid homage to them and is talking of the emergence of “citizen-journalists” in Burma.After banning the Burmese media from publishing any reports about the demonstrations, the government announced that their leaders, known as the Generation 88 activists, will be prosecuted for trying to start an uprising. They face up to 20 years in prison. After a 10-day news blackout, the media have also been told they can now refer to the fuel price increase, albeit only in positive terms.
Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Twitter Email Print 64 patients waiting for beds in UHL Advertisement 53 patients waiting for beds at UHL “We wish these passengers and crew a quick recovery from their injuries,” the statement added. Previous articleFUEL from Druid Theatre Co for the artists’ roadNext articleLimerick Pensioner targeted in rural armed raid Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Updated statement on service disruptions UL Hospitals Group RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Linkedin NewsBreaking newsPassengers hospitalised from diverted flight to ShannonBy Staff Reporter – August 31, 2016 861 Facebook Numbers of Limerick hospital group staff sidelined by COVID-19 reduces by 162 in past 7 days TAGSfeaturedShannonUnited Airlinesuniversity hospital limerick Management at most overcrowded and most COVID-hit hospital apologise to patients ‘waiting over 100 hours’ for a bed WhatsApp The United Airlines flight was diverted to ShannonThe United Airlines flight was diverted to Shannon16 PEOPLE from a United Airlines flight have been hospitalised this Wednesday morning after their plane was diverted to Shannon due to a medical emergency onboard.It has been confirmed that 14 passengers and two crew were taken from the flight that was bound from Houston to Heathrow.UA flight 880 had 223 passengers onboard but was diverted to Shannon after a number of people took ill after the plane experienced severe and unexpected turbulence during the transatlantic crossing.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up United Airlines issued a statement saying that “The aircraft diverted to Shannon Airport in Ireland where it was met by medical personnel.The airline said that it is providing care and support to customers and crew of the flight.The 14 passengers and two crew were met by emergency personnel waiting on the runway and treated before being brought to the University Hospital Limerick.
Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Donegal set for a bitterly cold day and night ahead Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Pinterest Google+ Previous articleCouncil renew grit heaps in Stranorlar as cold snap continuesNext articleHuge win for young Derry side: Kenny Shiels Reaction News Highland By News Highland – February 28, 2018 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest It’s going to remain bitterly cold in Donegal today with temperatures of just zero to 2 degrees throughout the day. Some parts of the county are waking up to some snowfall this morning although the east of the country has experienced the worst of the overnight wintry showers.As a result, Met Eireann has issued a Status Red Snow-Ice Alert for the east of the country.It came into effect at 5 this morning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow and Meath and will remain in effect until 12 o’clock tomorrow afternoon.Schools are likely to close in those counties today following heavy snowfall overnight.The arrival of Storm Emma tomorrow is set to bring more heavy snowfall and gale force winds.The Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says the country is prepared for the storm to come:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/07updvaradkar-weather-lead-clip-ts-a.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.Meanwhile tonight, Met Eireann say that there may be some further scattered snow showers in places in Donegal.It’s going to get extremely cold tonight too with lowest temperatures of minus 3 to minus 6 degrees with frost and icy patches. Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Facebook WhatsApp WhatsApp Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Google+ Homepage BannerNews Twitter Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further