Woman sentenced to a year’s forced labour over one ironic tweet

first_img ChinaAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders urges the Chinese authorities to rescind the sentence of one year of “reeducation through work” that has been imposed on a 46-year-old woman, Cheng Jianping, for relaying a comment on Twitter. It is believed to be the first time that someone has been sent to a labour camp in China because of a tweet.“Cheng Jianping just retweeted an ironic comment on a subject that touches the sensitive chord of Chinese nationalism,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This was not organized dissident activity. Unable to control Twitter, it seems the Chinese authorities are trying to set an example in order to get the microblogging platform’s users to censor themselves. They are cracking down harder on netizens everywhere.” 365 days for 140 characters Cheng was arrested on 28 October, the day she was due to get married, for a tweet she had posted on 17 October under the pseudonym of Wang Yi (@wangyi09). It was a retweet of a satirical comment about the tension between China and Japan and the anti-Japanese demonstrations taking place in China, and ironically suggested that protesters should attack the Japanese pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo. Cheng has more than 5,000 followers on Twitter.Cheng Jianping’s tweet Help by sharing this information Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes to go further November 24, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Woman sentenced to a year’s forced labour over one ironic tweet News March 12, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison Access to Twitter is blocked in China but Internet users can get round the Electronic Great Wall of China by using proxies. Twitter and Facebook hacked Another blogger, Tibetan writer and intellectual Tsering Woeser, has meanwhile been the victim of hacker attacks again because of her posts about the human rights situation in Tibet. Her blog (www.woeser.middle-way.net) and her Twitter, Gmail and Facebook accounts have all been hacked in recent weeks. She reports that photos and personal information on her Twitter profile were changed. Only her Twitter and Facebook accounts have so far been restored. Using “subversion” as pretext Another netizen to have been singled out recently because of what he posts online is Li Tie (李 铁), a 48-year-old pro-democracy activist based in the central city of Wuhan, who was arrested on 15 September. The initial charge was “inciting subversion,” which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, but it was changed on 22 October to “subverting state authority,” which is punishable under article 105 of the criminal code by life imprisonment or a minimum of 10 years in prison. The police are reportedly now pressuring the family not to hire their own lawyer for Li and instead use a state-appointed lawyer.According to Chinese Human Rights Defenders, Li was threatened by the authorities in the past and was told to stop organizing meetings to commemorate Lin Zhao (林昭), a poetess who spent nearly a decade in prison before being executed. In April, it was “suggested” that he should not meet with his friends or post any article “for an indefinite period.”Li wrote for Democratic China and Boxun and like Nobel peace laureate Liu Xiaobo (刘哓波), who is serving an 11-year sentence, he was a Charter 08 signatory Persecuted for defending public interest The fate of Zhao Lianhai (赵连海), the creator of the “Kidney Stone Babies” website, is unclear. Although he originally said he would appeal against the 30-month jail sentence he received on 10 November, Chinese Human Rights Defenders reports that he did not meet the 22 November deadline. He is also said to have recently refused to meet with his lawyers and the government news agency Xinhua reported yesterday that he had filed a request of an early release on health grounds.Zhao was convicted of “inciting social unrest” for running a website about the milk powder sold by the Chinese company Sanlu that was adulterated with melamine, and for calling for judicial proceedings against the authorities implicated in the scandal (read the article). Hundreds of thousands of Chinese infants, including Zhao’s son, fell ill after consuming the milk powder and six new-born babies died.center_img April 27, 2021 Find out more News She was sentenced on 15 November to a year of forced labour in the Shibali River “reeducation through work” camp in Zhengzhou, in the central province of Henan, on a charge of “disturbing social order.” Her lawyer, Lan Zhixue, has appealed against the sentence, an administrative order that was issued without any form of trial.To our knowledge, Cheng is the first person to be imprisoned just for posting a comment on Twitter.Her fiancé, Hua Chunhui, who was held for five days, says he has not been allowed to visit her. He reported that she began a hunger strike on 15 November in protest against her sentence, although she suffers from tuberculous pleurisy, a chronic lung condition.He said on his Twitter account (@wxhch): “I don’t know how (she) spent her first days in the labour camp, whether she is still on hunger strike, whether she is being subjected to inhumane treatment or what her state of health is. I don’t know (…) I am going to fight so that they respect my legitimate right to visit her.”Twitter chief executive Dick Costolo (@dickc) commented in a tweet: “Dear Chinese Government, year-long detentions for sending a sarcastic tweet are neither the way forward nor the future of your great people.”Dick Costolo’s tweet Follow the news on China RSF_en Organisation ChinaAsia – Pacific News China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures Receive email alertslast_img read more

Land rights cause people to act in crazy ways

first_imgFacebook by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected]“THE most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land”, according to a Limerick barrister.Defence counsel Mark Nicholas BL, made his comments during the sentencing hearing of a Limerick man accused of threatening to kill a business owner in a dispute over a right of way to his home.Brian Healy (48) of Sexton Street North pleaded guilty to threatening to kill Patrick Moloney at the Woodworkers store in Thomondgate on May 19, 2012.Limerick Circuit Court heard evidence from Detective Garda Keith Harmon, who said there had been difficulties in the past between the two men over a “common area or passageway” between Mr Healy’s home and the Woodworkers store owned by Mr Moloney.On May 19, 2012, Mr Healy was walking to his mother’s house where he lived when Mr Moloney came out from his shop. A n argument ensued and Mr Healy said he had a gun and would use it to shoot Mr Moloney.He also threatened to “burn out” the business and slit Mr Moloney’s throat.Mr Moloney’s father was waiting for his son in a car nearby and made a statement to Gardaí of overhearing the exchange.Prosecuting counsel John O’Sullivan said it caused great distress to Mr. Moloney.Mr Healy attempted to goad Mr Moloney into hitting him. There was no physical altercation between the two men and no further incidents since.Detective Harmon said Mr Healy admitted he threatened to “knock him out” but denied saying he would use a gun.Gardaí did not search Mr Healy’s home for a gun.Mark Nicholas BL said that his client, who had no previous convictions, regretted what happened and he had no intention of harming Mr Moloney.“The most sensible and decent people behave in crazy ways when it comes to land,” he said, adding that the house, which was owned by his client’s mother until she died, was to be sold.Applying the probation act, Judge Carroll Moran said that Brian Healy said some “very unpleasant things but he had a previous good record and there was no issue between the two parties since.“If he does it again or anything similar, he will likely go to jail”, the judge warned. Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement NewsCommunityLand rights cause people to act in crazy waysBy Staff Reporter – February 6, 2014 1178 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedin Print Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley reportcenter_img Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Email TAGSassaultCourtland rightsMusic Limerickthreatswoodworkers store Previous articleJFK and Brian BorúNext articleBurglar jailed after found hiding in wardrobe Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday last_img read more

46 year old charged with attempted child abduction in Derry appears in court

first_img Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th WhatsApp 46 year old charged with attempted child abduction in Derry appears in court Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp A 46 year old man charged with six counts of attempted child abduction in Derry has been remanded in custody.Krzysztof Kubala of Lisfannon Park, Derry appeared at Derry Magistrates Court today, charged with the attempted abduction of five boys and one girl on Friday last in the Strathfoyle area of the city.A police officer connected Polish national, Kubala to the charges.Defence solicitor Seamus Quigley said that the main difficulty for the defence was the lack of a suitable address.He said he believed even if there was an address police would still be opposed to bail and the officer confirmed that was so.No further details of the charges were given with the defendant remanded in custody to appear again on October 17th. By News Highland – October 7, 2019 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic DL Debate – 24/05/21 center_img Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Google+ Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Homepage BannerNews Twitter Previous articleThe Devenney View – Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill to fight for Dr MaguireNext articleCalls for immediate review of Council’s housing policy News Highland Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programmelast_img read more