News US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture Help by sharing this information Organisation to go further News August 28, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Military authorities use all means possible to prevent coverage of current events MyanmarAsia – Pacific News Follow the news on Myanmar May 12, 2021 Find out more MyanmarAsia – Pacific RSF_en Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Receive email alerts RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum May 26, 2021 Find out more May 31, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association firmly condemn the methods being used by the military government to prevent journalists, including those working for foreign media, from covering a wave of unrest in response to an increase in the price of fuel. The two organisations call on European embassies in Rangoon to publicly defend the right of Burmese journalists to work without obstruction.“The military’s response to the wave of protests against price increases since 19 August has again been heavy-handed repression, intimidation and censorship of Burmese journalists,” the two organisations said. “Despite the violence by the military and their bully-boys, reports and pictures of the demonstrations are being seen abroad. This testifies to the courage of the Burmese journalists and demonstrators.”The censorship bureau and the police stepped up controls after the government decided to raise the price of fuel on 15 August.The Burmese correspondents of foreign news media say they been subjected to a great deal of intimidation from plain-clothes police and members of the Union Solidarity and Development Association (the regime’s militia) while covering the recent demonstrations in Rangoon. Armed with spades and iron bars and circulating in army trucks, police and militiamen have been insulting and threatening journalists. An unidentified journalist was roughed up by men in plain clothes as he took pictures of people lining up to take public transport in the capital on 22 August. USDA members and police prevented journalists from approaching a group of street demonstrators in Rangoon the next day. USDA thugs jostled and insulted journalists. A Reuters reporter was forbidden to take pictures of arrests and the police finally seized his cameras.As a result of this intimidation, Agence France-Presse has described coverage of the current events as “delicate.” A journalist working for a foreign news organisation based in Bangkok told Reporters Without Borders that its Burmese stringer had been forced to stay away from the demonstrations because of the constant intimidation. “Men in plain clothes impose an atmosphere of fear around the demonstrations which prevents us from working,” said one Burmese journalist employed by a foreign news organisation. “It is hard to risk being arrested for a photo.”The Rangoon military command has banned journalists from taking photos of demonstrations and has ordered the seizure and destruction of cameras from those who do not comply. In order to hamper the dissemination of reports, the authorities are said to have slowed Internet traffic, even for private companies. According to some accounts, it has become increasingly difficult to access gmail.com and gtalk. Mobile phone networks have also been disrupted since demonstrators began gathering every day in Rangoon last week.Lots of the images and reports of the demonstrations seen abroad have come from demonstrators or amateur journalists. The magazine Irrawaddy has paid homage to them and is talking of the emergence of “citizen-journalists” in Burma.After banning the Burmese media from publishing any reports about the demonstrations, the government announced that their leaders, known as the Generation 88 activists, will be prosecuted for trying to start an uprising. They face up to 20 years in prison. After a 10-day news blackout, the media have also been told they can now refer to the fuel price increase, albeit only in positive terms.
WhatsApp Email Print NewsCommunityNew appeal for information on Gussie Shanahan’s deathBy Staff Reporter – May 16, 2019 515 Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Vicky calls for right to die with dignity TAGSAengus ‘Gussie’ ShanahanappealCommunityNews Facebook The poster issued by the family of Aengus ‘Gussie’ Shanahan.THE family of a Limerick man whose partial skeletal remains were discovered in 2001, have issued a fresh appeal for information about his death.Aengus ‘Gussie’ Shanahan was last seen alive, aged 20, in his native Limerick city, on February 11, 2000.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Bone fragments belonging to him were found washed up in Co Clare on October 28, 2001, by members of Bunratty Search and Rescue Service.However, the partial remains were only confirmed as belonging to Gussie last year following improvements in DNA technology.A Garda review of the case, launched late last year, is still continuing.Mr Shanahan’s family have now launched a fresh campaign for information which includes a confidential telephone line 087-1222950 that will be manned by family members.Gussie’s sister, Grainne Shanahan, said she and her family believe he was murdered.“We are going with this new appeal because this is a different chapter in the case. We have laid him to rest, but we still want answers as to what happened to Gussie.”Ms Shanahan appealed directly to people who have information about her brother’s disappearance for anyone with information about the death to let them know what happened.She particularly appealed to a man who contacted her father Bob Shanahan years previously with possible information about the case.“The man rang my Dad and said that Gussie had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. We’d like to hear from that man again, and anyone that knows what happened on the night Gussie disappeared.”A poster released by the Shanahan family reads: “JUSTICE FOR GUSSIE…So many Unanswered Questions??? Did He Suffer? Was He Alone? We Need Your Help…Help us get the answers.”Ms Shanahan said any information given to the family would be treated in “strict confidence”.Gussie’s bone fragments were laid to rest beside his late mother Nancy last November following his funeral mass.Bob Shanahan, speaking prior to the funeral, said hearing confirmation from Gardaí that the bone fragments found 17 years earlier belonged to his missing son, was like being “struck by a thunderbolt”.The investigation team at Roxboro Road Garda Station can be contacted at 061-214340 or on the Garda Confidential Line 1800-666-111.by David [email protected] RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Population of Mid West region increased by more than 3,000 in past year Advertisement Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Limerick on Covid watch list Previous articleThere’s still a job to be done on the right to workNext articleLimerick FC players vote in favour of strike action Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Twitter
14SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Consumers’ lives are moving faster than ever, and their demand for convenience puts increasing pressure on credit unions to improve the experience they deliver. While this convenience economy is evolving outside your credit union, have you ever stopped to think about its impact on the inside, specifically on your employees?As you add convenient channels and services, it’s important to consider how you’re preparing your staff to engage with members through these new opportunities. But how you train can be just as important as the topics your cover. Remember, your employees are also consumers, and they bring this same convenience mindset to work each and every day.Compounding the challenge is today’s multi-generational workforce, with five generations in the workplace for the first time. Given this incredible diversity, both in terms of experience and expectations, it’s easy to see that the standard approach to training is no longer the answer.When you make training stimulating, personal, fun, and convenient, your workforce is more engaged and more attuned to your business objectives. Engaged employees ultimately perform better, eager to help your members find the right solution as they pursue financial security. continue reading »
Tweet 106 Views one comment Share Share LocalNews Dominica’s government to investigate passport allegation by: – November 16, 2011 Dawood Ibrahim. Image via: forbes.comThe government of Dominica through Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has announced that an investigation will be launched into recent allegations that an Indian terrorist is a holder of Dominican passport.A Weekly tabloid from Bangladesh, Weekly Blitz, on the 3rd of November, 2011 published an article stating that “India’s most wanted underworld-don Dawood Ibrahim” is using a Dominican passport. “An exclusive investigation into the current trend of free-styled sale of Dominica passports to foreigners, it was revealed that a significant number of terrorists and even Jihadists from India are already using Dominica passports for smoothly travelling within a number of countries in the West as well as Arab nations. India’s most wanted underworld-don Dawood Ibrahim, who has been operating his illegal activities within and outside India, mostly from foreign countries, is also reportedly using Dominica passport, hiding his real name. This notorious don is visiting most of the Western nations with such passports,” Weekly Blitz reported. The Financial Services Unit acting on behalf of the government issued a press release last week Thursday denying the allegation that Dawood Ibrahim is a holder of Dominican citizenship or passport.“The government has not granted, and denies that it granted, economic citizenship or a passport to Mr. Ibrahim. More importantly, the security and due process measures in place would make it impossible for a notorious criminal and wanted terrorist to be granted economic citizenship or passport. The allegation is totally false”.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit who was a guest on the Dominica Labour Party’s Next Level Radio Program on Saturday announced that a forensic investigator will be engaged to thoroughly investigate this allegation.“The government will certainly be engaging a forensic investigator to investigate this matter. I do not believe that the government in its rightful mind can take this matter lightly and the government will be pursuing this matter to find out the origins of this so we will be investigating this matter very, very seriously,” he said.The Prime Minister further highlighted the necessity of launching the said investigation as it has the potential to compromise the security of citizens of the Commonwealth of Dominica.“We’re not going to take this lightly because this is attacking the core of our sovereignty, the core of our economic well-being and our national security and a government has a fundamental responsibility to provide security for its citizens and if our citizens are being placed in a situation where their security is compromised by persons, then the government has a responsibility to investigate it. I mean it is unfair to the people of Dominica.”Mr Skerrit further explained that out of a list of sixteen (16) passport numbers issued by the Interpol, none are Dominican passport numbers.“The latest report we have from Interpol and we have all the aliases of Mr Dawood Ibrahim, all of the aliases and we searched all our records with the aliases of Mr Dawood Ibrahim and we found nothing in our records on this things – none. We have the passport numbers issued by Interpol, it’s alleged that Mr Ibrahim has about sixteen (16) passports and not one is a Dominican number, not one. It tells you where the passports are from; India, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates’ and Pakistan. Interpol has not said any records that Mr Ibrahim Dawood is a holder of Dominican passport”.He said that there is no record to indicate that Dawood Ibrahim is a holder of a Dominican passport.“All our searches in the Ministry of Finance with the police has not found any evidence to indicate that Ibrahim Dawood applied for nor was granted Dominican citizenship under the Economic Citizenship Program. He is not a holder of any Dominican citizenship or a holder of a Dominican passport. If Mr Ibrahim had applied under the Economic Citizenship Program there is no way that he could have passed the test, there is no way,” the prime minister reiterated. Dominica Vibes News Share Sharing is caring!
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Former Australian wicket-keeper and a legend of the game Adam Gilchrist feels India’s success on their tour of Australia will depend “on mind more than the body”. Gilchrist also hailed the Indian bowling set-up and labelled Virat Kohli as the best batsman in the world.“It is challenging playing overseas. I do believe India [have] a strong bowling unit and some quality batsmen, including the best batsman in the world, Virat Kohli,” said the iconic former Australia wicket-keeper batsman to ESPNcricinfo, on Sunday.ALSO READ: BCCI Payments: Ravi Shastri bags Rs. 2.05 crore as advance payment“They have the potential to win overseas. Perhaps it is just mind, more than the body.”The Virat Kohli-led Indian team are ranked no.1 on the MRF Tyres ICC Test Team Rankings. However, the lost both the tough overseas series against South Africa and now the ongoing series against England despite their bowling and skipper Kohli doing well during the tours. Now, with Steve Smith and David Warner both suspended from International cricket, the four-match Test series is a well worthy shot at glory for the Indians.Kohli, who made his captaincy debut on the tour of Australia last time, smashed four centuries and Gilchrist firmly believes he will be the main man for team India once again.ALSO READ: Asia Cup 2018: India’s probable lineup against Pakistan“What I admire about Virat’s captaincy is his tenacity and the way he drags his team with him just by being positive,” he explained.”Perhaps, it would not be advisable for Australians to upset him because it may boomerang against them as he is world’s best batsmen at the moment.“He looks to me like a guy who likes challenges when the chips are down … From Australia’s point of view, they do not want him to score as heavily as he is doing in England.Gilchrist also said the battle for the best pace attack will be the most intriguing part of the Australia vs India series.”As the series goes on, we’re going to find out who has the better pace attack, and that is going to be the most intriguing part of the series.”India’s tour of Australia will start from November 21, 2018 and will finish on January 18, 2019. The complete tour will have 3 T20Is, 4 Tests, and 3 ODIs.
GOtv subscribers will have access to select matches of the UEFA European Championship (Euro 2016), which started in France yesterday and will end on July 10. The matches, available on all GOtv packages, will be broadcast live on its SuperSport Select 1.This was announced in a statement issued by the pay-TV service provider. According to the statement, the matches are being made available as a way of adding value to subscribers’ viewing experience through exciting content that is close to their hearts.GOtv subscribers watched the opening match of the tournament between the host country, France and Romania.Other first round matches that would be aired live on GOtv include England v Russia, Belgium v Italy, Germany v Poland, Portugal v Austria and Croatia v Spain.In the round of 16 and quarter final stage, GOtv will air two live matches respectively. Subscribers will also watch one live semi-final match and the biggest match of the tournament, the final game.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisApril is distracted driving awareness month. MSP is reminding residents to make sure to pay attention when driving.When it comes to accidents many are caused by distracted drivers, that’s why Michigan State Police Alpena Post is reminding everyone to keep their eyes on the road. Trooper Simpson said that most accidents range from drivers talking on the phone to having pets in their laps while driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there were 3,477 people killed in motor vehicle crashes related to distracted drivers.During the day there are 660,000 people using cell phones while driving and that’s why troopers like Simpson on patrol around the area to make sure people are driving safe. When it comes to most of the crashes teens are the largest group reported as a distracted driver, which leads to most fatal accidents.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Distracted Driving Awareness, msp, MSP Alpena PostContinue ReadingPrevious Upcoming: Countywide Clean-Up DayNext Pool Seeks To Increase Rates