The board of directors with Northern Development Initiative Trust have approved a $250,000 grant that will go towards replacing the ice plants for the Kin Arena and Memorial Arena in Dawson Creek. Last year ammonia contamination in the ice plants closed the Memorial Arena.The money will be combined with $2.1 million from the City of Dawson Creek to replace the plants with freon systems.It’s hoped the upgrades could bring in revenues of $765,000 over the next five years through ice rentals, floor rentals and municipal programs.- Advertisement -Both buildings are anticipated to be open for the fall.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – After three days, the 2019 Oilmen’s Hockey Tournament wrapped up on Saturday, April 6 with some good results.Ten teams competed in the finals on Saturday.In the finals, Tom’s Construction took on Complete Pumpjack Services, D & D faced Fort Motors, Magnum Oilfield Rental took on Ditmarsia Holdings, Cabre played Northen Vac, and Jiffy Lube faced Peace Country Royals.- Advertisement -This year was Team Jiffy Lube’s first year in the Tournament as a team sponsor. They managed to beat Peace Country Royals in a shootout of 5-4.Here are the results for the finals:Cabre 8 Northen Vac 4Advertisement Magnum 5 Ditmarsia 4D & D 9 Fort Motors 6Tom’s 7 CPS 6Jiffy Lube 5 PCR 4 (in a shootout)Advertisement
VATICAN CITY – Pope Benedict XVI offers a personal meditation on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ in his first book as pontiff, criticizing the “cruelty” of capitalism’s exploitation of the poor but also decrying the absence of God in Marxism. In “Jesus of Nazareth,” released Friday, Benedict touches on themes that have begun to emerge in his two-year-old papacy: the spiritual weaknesses of modern materialistic life, in which people seem to think they can do without God. The book also points to a concern of Benedict from his days as prefect of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, when he sought to stem support for “liberation theology” – the theology of salvation as liberation from injustice, popular in Latin America. Benedict stresses that the book, which he began writing in 2003 when he was still Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, is an expression of his “personal search for the face of the Lord” and is by no means an official part of Roman Catholic Church doctrine. “Everyone is free, then, to contradict me,” he says. Benedict – a prolific theologian well before he became pope – sets out to give a thorough examination of the Gospel accounts of Jesus’ public ministry to arrive at the foundation of the Christian faith: that Jesus is God. “What did Jesus truly bring, if he didn’t bring peace to the world, well-being for all and a better world?” he asks. “The answer is very simple: God. He brought God.” The 448-page book is due in bookstores in German, Italian and Polish on Monday, the pope’s 80th birthday. The English-language edition is set for release May 15 and translations are planned for 16 other languages. The book is the first of two volumes: Rizzoli, the book’s Italian publisher, said Benedict is expected to write a second volume exploring the birth of Christ, his crucifixion and resurrection. “Jesus of Nazareth” covers several key points of Jesus’ public life and ministry, including an entire chapter on his sermon on the mount, in which he praises the poor, the meek and the hungry in the “Beatitudes.” Benedict then reflects on how the sermon is relevant in today’s world. “After the experiences of totalitarian regimes, after the brutal way in which they trampled on men, mocked, enslaved and beat the weak, we understand anew those who hunger and thirst for justice,” Benedict writes. “Confronted with the abuse of economic power, with the cruelty of capitalism that degrades man into merchandise, we have begun to see more clearly the dangers of wealth and we understand in a new way what Jesus intended in warning us about wealth.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
QPR have entered the race to sign Watford striker Troy Deeney.Burnley and Leicester have already had bids rejected for the 26-year-old this summer, which fall below the Championship side’s valuation.talkSPORT understands the Hornets are looking for around £10million for Deeney, who scored 25 goals in all competitions last season.Their asking price is based on fees paid out this summer for Ross McCormack, a £11million signing for Fulham, and Leo Ulloa, who joined Leicester in a £7m deal.QPR boss Harry Redknapp is keen to add to his striking options and will sanction a deal for the Birmingham-born hitman, who is keen on a move to the Premier League.Burnley boss Sean Dyche knows Deeney well from his stint in charge at Vicarage Road and is also keen to link up with him again at Turf Moor.Leicester boss Nigel Pearson remains an admirer despite Ulloa’s arrival, but Rangers could be about to blow the newly-promoted duo out of the water. Troy Deeney in action for Watford 1
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger 1 Arsenal fans were up to mischief again on Tuesday as the Gunners were runaway winners at the inaugural Facebook Football Awards (we don’t know either).Loyal Gooners have proved a force to be reckoned with on social media, as they followed up voting Jack Wilshere’s thunder-strike as Match of the Day’s goal of the season – despite scoring it the same day – , with voting Arsene Wenger as the Premier League’s best manager.It’s fair to say the Frenchman still divides opinion at the Emirates Stadium, yet the north Londoners still managed to get their manager to pip Premier League-winning boss Jose Mourinho, Alan Pardew – who arguably kept two teams up this season – plus England’s leading coach Garry Monk to the award.Other winners included Facebook’s Player of the Year, Alexis Sanchez, and the club itself, which was named the Best Premier League Club of the Year.Impressive really.See how the Twittersphere reacted below…
Martin Caceres 1 Fenerbahce want to beat Liverpool to the signature of Juventus defender Martin Caceres.The Uruguayan has fallen out of favour at the Turin club, having made just three league appearances this term, and is now on the lookout for a January switch.Liverpool are desperate to add a defender to their squad for the second half of the season, especially after their humbling defeat to Watford at the weekend.Fenerbahce, however, are keen to flex their financial muscles in the upcoming market and might be able to offer the 28-year-old more money with the Turkish side big-spenders on imported talents.Caceres would bring plenty of experience to either suitor, having made 69 appearances for his country.But he still has a bad-boy tag he is trying to shake off after a drink-driving car crash back in September so a change of scenery might appeal to him.
YOU’VE heard the original ‘Jimmy’s Winning Matches’ by Kilcar man Rory Gallagher. And you’ve probably heard a few other versions you wished you hadn’t.But this is right up there with the original – the Irish version from the students and teachers of Coláiste Ailigh in Letterkenny.It is absolutely superb.We’re sure Rory will approve. Scoláirí agus múinteoirí Choláiste Ailigh, Leitir Ceanainn ag ceol leagan Gaeilge den amhrán ‘Jimmy’s winning matches’. Meán Fómhair 2012. Tír Chonaill Abú!Click to play. TÁ JIMÍ AG BAINT CLUICHÍ LE COLÁISTE AILIGH was last modified: September 21st, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:jimmy’s winning matches Irish versionletterkennyTÁ JIMÍ AG BAINT CLUICHÍ LE COLÁISTE AILIGH
The club monthly meeting will be held next Tuesday April 29th at 9pm.Noel Scott has organised in association with the County Board a Suicide Awaremess talk. This will be held in the clubhouse Monday the 28th at 7:30pm. Obviously a very sensitive subject and it is hoped that all parents and managers of teenagers will attend.Our seniors and reserves were home to our neighbours St Eunans on Easter Sunday. the reserves were unlucky to lose by a point but on a positive note they had a great victory away to Ardara on Good Friday. The next outing for the reserves is against Na Rossa in the Gaeltacht on Wednesday the 23rd at home at 7pm. The seniors suffered a 1-7 to 3-13 defeat to St Eunans in what can only be described as an ill tempered match. Our U14 boys are at home in the quarter final of the league against Red Hughs this Friday evening at 7pm. Our ladies had their first outing of the year last Tuesday 15th against Niamh Columba.Although they suffered a loss it was fantastic to see the ladies take to the field and a large crowd was in attendance to lend their support.The U14 girls suffered a heavy defeat to Milford last Tuesday evening but are at home Tues 22nd to against St Eunans with throw in at 5:30pm.Paddy McGinty’s 3rd team had a comprehensive victory over Glenfin on Saturday evening last with an impressive scoreline of 2-17 to 0-4. Next up for Paddy’s boys is a home fixture versus Pettigo on Saturday 26th at 7pm. The Minors suffered a heavy defeat to a strong St Michaels team in the league semi final last Wednesday evening but are now training hard for the forthcoming Championship.It is that time of year again to dust off the runners and start training for the Glenswilly 5k which will take place in June – no excuses! – if you can’t run why not walk?Finally the club would like to wish a speedy recovery to Sarah Gallagher, Cormac Callaghan and Cormac Gallagher – all three are in plaster due to hand injuries.GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY TO HOLD SUICIDE AWARENESS TALK was last modified: April 22nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Glenswilly GAA
A MAN in his 30s with an address in Milford is scheduled to appear before Sligo District Court on Thursday charged in connection with an €100,000 drugs bust.A woman in her 20s who was also arrested in Ballymote on Monday was released without charge this evening and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.Gardai seized €80,000 during the operation in Sligo. A follow-up operation continued for 18 hours after that incident and €20,000 worth of cannabis resin was later discovered at a house on the outskirts of Milford.It took the total seizure of cannabis between the stop and search procedure in Ballymote and the search in Milford to more than 5kgs.Gerard O’Connor, 32, from Dundalk but with an address in Milford was charged in relation to both seizures last night.MAN FROM DONEGAL CHARGED IN DRUGS BUST CASE was last modified: September 12th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
See also:QPR undone by second-half Arsenal doubleRamsey: Rangers must not get detachedQPR hope Sandro will be fit for Spurs gameFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook