The province is asking Nova Scotians to help recognize provincial public servants who are leading in the delivery of French-language services. Nominations for the fourth annual Bonjour! Awards for Excellence in French-language Services open today, Sept. 19. The awards recognize outstanding contributions by Nova Scotia government employees to develop and deliver programs and services in French. “What better way to promote the availability and accessibility of French-language services than to honour those who are leading the charge within the provincial public service,” said Acadian Affairs Minister David Wilson. “Nova Scotia’s public servants go above and beyond to ensure Acadian and francophone Nova Scotians receive valuable services in their first language — and they deserve to be recognized. “I encourage Nova Scotians to take a few moments to nominate an individual or group who you know is making a difference bringing valuable services in French to your community.” Members of the public and government employees can submit a nomination to Acadian Affairs in three categories: Excellence in Service Delivery to the Public, Excellence in Leadership and Excellence in Program Development. Last year, award recipients were recognized for developing and launching a licence plate celebrating Acadian heritage, for ensuring that Acadians and francophones have access to legal support services in French and for greeting Acadians and francophones in their first language, making it known that French services are available at the office. Nominations will be evaluated by a selection committee that represents the Acadian and francophone community, as well as the provincial and federal public service. To download or submit a nomination form online, go to www.gov.ns.ca/acadian/excellence/. For more information, call 1-800-670-4357 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org . The deadline for nominations is Oct. 31. Successful nominees will be honoured at a ceremony in February. Follow the province’s French-language Twitter account @gouvNE.
Meeting in Nicosia, Mr. Clerides and Mr. Denktash reviewed the pace of their work so far and “decided that it would be more effective to have longer meetings with more time in between, so as to concentrate efforts and allow more time for preparation,” spokesman Fred Eckhard told reporters in New York. “Accordingly, as of 1 March, they will be meeting on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings, except as otherwise agreed.” The two leaders will meet again tomorrow as earlier planned and have another meeting on Tuesday, 19 February before breaking “in light of the Bayram (Id Muslim Holiday) and for a brief reflection period,” according to Mr. Eckhard. During the break, Secretary-General Kofi Annan’s Special Adviser on Cyprus, Alvaro de Soto, will travel to New York to report to the Secretary-General and brief members of the Security Council, the spokesman reported. “Talks will resume on Friday, 1 March,” said Mr. Eckhard.