Taman Sari’s evicted residents pursue alternative avenues after court loss

first_img“It’s true that items such as school uniforms can be bought, but what residents want to know is, how is the government going to take responsibility?”On Dec. 12, about 1,200 officers from the Public Order Agency (Satpol PP), Indonesian military (TNI) and police were deployed to evict the residents and demolish dozens of houses, affecting at least 33 households that had refused to be relocated.Residents Sambas Sadikin and Budi Rahayu filed their case in court, asking for a postponement and allow them to vacate the land and challenge the environmental permit issued for the Bandung administration to build low-cost apartments. The Bandung Administrative Court ruled in favor of the administration, saying that it had found no irregularities in the issuance of the environmental permit.Read also: Bandung’s evicted residents keep fighting despite defeats. Here’s why. Sambas, 58, was also among the residents who had submitted a report to lapor.go.id.“I did not only lose a house but the place where I was born and raised. That is worth more than gold,” he said. Another evictee, 45-year-old Eva Aryani Effendi, said losing her house also meant losing her livelihood, as she had started a clothing business in her two-story home.“A decades-long business just disappeared. I feel that I have been impoverished by the government,” she said. “I was only given five minutes to gather my things. Now that everything is destroyed, how can I make a decent living?”Enjo, a 38-year-old evictee, said he would continue to fight for compensation. “I am taking a stand because it’s not just about monetary compensation. Evictions shouldn’t be considered a normal thing by claiming to represent the greater good while making others suffer,” he said. “The other victims and I are also citizens that have the right to prosper.”Rizky Ramdani of the Legal Aid and Human Rights Association (PBHI) said the online reports were part of the residents’ efforts to fight for their rights. “If we do not get a response, then, of course, we will continue to the next step, which is to file a report with the West Java branch of the Indonesian Ombudsman,” he said. Forty-one of the evicted residents, including 12 children, are currently staying at the nearby Al-Islam mosque. Fourteen others have chosen to stay with their relatives or rent rooms outside of Taman Sari. (kmt)Topics : Residents who were evicted from Taman Sari subdistrict in Bandung, West Java, have filed more than 100 complaints to the government’s online public-service complaint system to step up their fight against their eviction. Twenty residents submitted around 120 reports regarding the losses they suffered during the eviction, which occurred in December last year, to the lapor.go.id online portal. The reports included details on loss of property, loss of income, as well as adverse effects on their health. “According to the lapor.go.id mechanism, we should get a response from the government within three days,” Aang Kusmawan of Bandung-based NGO Perkumpulan Inisiatif (Initiative Group), which has been working with the residents, said on Wednesday.last_img read more

Why Mikel Arteta is ‘convinced’ that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang wants to stay at Arsenal

first_imgAdvertisement Aubameyang has been impressed by Arteta (Picture: Getty)But the Times claim that Arteta is now confident that Aubameyang will sign a new deal because he feels the striker has been persuaded that the Gunners can compete for top honours once again.Arteta has masterminded wins over Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea since his appointment and Aubameyang has profitted from his style of play. Aubameyang has bagged 16 goals since Arteta’s appointment but the Gabonese hasn’t received the number of offers his representatives had anticipated, meaning he’s now set to stay at the Emirates. More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe former Dortmund ace reportedly felt ‘let down’ by the club in the last 18 months as they had not invested in the way that they had promised since his £57m arrival from the Bundesliga giants.However, Arsenal ‘s FA Cup victory means they’ve got a spot in next season’s Europa League, which will aid the club’s moves in the transfer market.The Gunners are in advanced negotiations with Willian’s representatives over a free transfer to the Emirates and the club are ready to hand the winger the three-year deal he craves.MORE: Manchester United set to complete Jadon Sancho deal this week after breakthrough in talksFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Why Mikel Arteta is ‘convinced’ that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang wants to stay at Arsenal Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set to stay at Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta believes Pierre-Emierck Aubameyang will commit his future to the club this summer as he’s realised that the Gunners are on the up again since Unai Emery’s departure.The Gabon international has entered the last year of his contract at the Emirates and he called off negotiations in late 2019 after little progress was made in discussions.Aubameyang was made club captain in November and he guided the Gunners to the FA Cup on Saturday by scoring twice against Chelsea in the final at Wembley. Arteta is desperate to keep the 31-year-old and has instructed his board to hand Aubameyang his wage demands of £250,000-a-week.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTHowever, money has never been the problem, as the club feared earlier this year that Aubameyang’s head had been turned. Metro Sport ReporterMonday 3 Aug 2020 9:27 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.2kShares Comment Advertisementlast_img read more

NFL trade rumors: Steelers looking to deal right tackle Marcus Gilbert

first_imgIt appears Gilbert is aware of Pittsburgh’s intentions as he shared a cryptic message Friday on Twitter writing, in part, “Next chapter.”Next chapter 🙏🏾😎— Marcus Gilbert (@MarcusGilbert88) March 8, 2019The Steelers selected Gilbert in the second round of the 2011 draft out of Florida and he immediately made an impact, starting 13 games in his rookie season. NFL trade news: Steelers’ deal sending Antonio Brown to Bills falls through Related News The Steelers could be looking to move on from veteran right tackle Marcus Gilbert sooner rather than later.According to ESPN, Pittsburgh is ready to deal the 31-year-old lineman, who has spent his entire eight-year NFL career with the Steelers. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette suggests if the franchise can’t find a trade destination for Gilbert, he could be released to save nearly $5 million on the final year of his contract. He became Pittsburgh’s starting right tackle right away, but missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in addition to four games in 2017 for a PED suspension. Gilbert has made 87 starts throughout his career, but he was limited to just 12 over the past two years.The Steelers finished 2018 with a 9-6-1 record amid a season filled with drama concerning running back Le’Veon Bell and wide receiver Antonio Brown. Bell is set to become a free agent when the new league year begins next week after sitting out the entire season in hopes of reaching a long-term deal, while Brown is still on the trading block.last_img read more