Roosters edge Bulldogs in a thriller

first_imgIt took nine rounds for the Tricolours to register two wins in 2016, but last year’s strugglers have already equalled that mark a fortnight into the new season. The halves pairing of Luke Keary and Mitchell Pearce picked up from where they left off on the Gold Coast with the duo playing a part in almost all of their side’s five tries. There were plenty of positive signs for the Bulldogs who started and finished the game on fire despite being ravaged by injuries throughout the contest.  The Roosters suffered a setback of their own just before kick off with big man Kane Evans a late scratching after picking up a lower-leg injury in the warm-up.  After being blown off the park against the Storm in the opening exchanges last week, the Bulldogs flew out of the gates on Thursday with Kerrod Holland diving over out wide inside three minutes to give his side an early lead.  However, the winger was forced from the field moments later with a shoulder injury that forced a major reshuffle in the Bulldogs backline, sending Josh Morris to right centre and Brenko Lee to the wing. It took just 60 seconds for Morris to make an immediate impact in his new role with the speedster punishing a Shaun Kenny-Dowall midfield error to touch down in the corner.Momentum was with the Bulldogs at that stage, but it swung on its head in the 13th minute when Roosters skipper Jake Friend nailed a 40/20 out of dummy-half to finally put his side on the attack.That was all the invitation they needed as Keary attracted three defenders with his pace before be popped a pass to Boyd Cordner who fell over the line to make it a two-point game. With the crowd urging them on, the Roosters took the ascendency. Mitchell Pearce got them on the front foot with a glorious ball that put Blake Ferguson into space, and from the ensuing play Daniel Tupou latched onto a deft grubber from Latrell Mitchell to give his side the lead. They would have moved further in front but missed two half-chances when Keary fumbled a loose ball when he should have toed it forward, before Mitchell put down a sharp opportunity to intercept a Moses Mbye pass with open pastures in front of him.It was a case of third time lucky for the Roosters when Tupou flew through the air to reel in a pinpoint Keary kick to extend the lead, before Michael Gordon knocked over a penalty goal to make it 16-8 at the break.  The change of ends did little to halt their momentum and the home side extended their lead when Kenny-Dowall leapt highest to claim Pearce’s cross-field kick, before the Kiwis winger offloaded back inside for Ferguson to score. Things were getting ugly for the Bulldogs until veteran winger Brett Morris powered his way over to finish off some lightning quick hands down the left edge to cut the gap to 10 points to give them a sniff with half an hour left to play.That sniff turned into a powerful aroma when Adam Elliott charged onto a flat pass from James Graham to score virtually untouched to set up a grandstand finish. The Roosters should have iced the game with 10 minutes to play when Keary chipped over Moses Mbye who was isolated on the wing, but Kenny Dowall couldn’t ground the Steeden.  Their fans needn’t have worried as the ever-reliable Mitchell Aubusson charged through a hole courtesy of a Keary short ball and showed enough pace to plant the ball next to the corner post to seal the nervy win, although there were some sweaty palms in the stands when Josh Morris punished a Keary error to race in for his second late in the contest to get the Dogs within four.  The Roosters will be sweating on the fitness of Blake Ferguson who succumbed to a chest injury that had been troubling him for most of the game.  The Bulldogs have their own concerns with back-rower Greg Eastwood forced off with a leg injury while Will Hopoate left the field late in the game following a sickening head clash with Zane Tetevano.  Roosters 28 (Daniel Tupou 2, Boyd Cordner, Blake Ferguson, Mitchell Aubusson tries; Michael Gordon 4 goals) def. Bulldogs 24 (Josh Morris 2, Kerrod Holland, Brett Morris, Adam Elliott tries; Moses Mbye 2 goals) at Allianz Stadium. Half-time: 16-8. Crowd: 13,505.last_img read more

Farmers died from gunshot injuries – autopsy

first_imgPomeroon execution…3 remain in custody, Police awaiting ballistics testThe autopsy conducted on the bodies of the two coconut farmers from a Pomeroon riverine community in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) who were allegedly shot has confirmed that the men died from gunshot injuries.The autopsy was conducted on Thursday by Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh.Three persons remain in Police custody as investigations continue into the execution-style killing that took place in the Lower Pomeroon River. A third person was pulled in for questioning late Tuesday evening –wife of the deceased Ambrose Baharally – and she remains in custody along with a farmer.Close relatives’ hands were swabbed and the swabs were sent for relevant testing.Detectives from G Division are currently awaiting a result from the ballistics test that will ascertain if the weapons they recently found was associated with the crime.Investigators late Monday evening found weapons, ammunition and a quantity of narcotics that are assumed to be related to the crime.One 9mm pistol and magazine; one .38 revolver; 16 live 12-gauge cartridges; 21 live .38 rounds; a quantity of .32 rounds; two 9mm spent shells, and 51 and one-half grams of cannabis were found. These items were recovered in close proximity to where the incident occurred at Grant Stelling, Lower Pomeroon.The Police had deployed a high-level investigative team to the area to assist with investigations. Up to press time, two persons were in custody, including Cilicia Williams, the wife of Ambrose Baharally. Baharally, called “Jadge,” of Grant Stelling Hope, and 23-year-old Martin Goddete of Friendship Canal, Lower Pomeroon River, were said to be imbibing when, at about 15:30h, they were shot to the head by two men known to them.Williams, a mother of six, told Police that Goddete had visited their home at about 09:30h, and after some time, he and her husband began to drink “High Wine” on a culvert by the river.At 15:10h on Sunday, she saw the suspects drive up in a boat, and they subsequently shook the hands of her husband and his friend. She said the group of men were having a conversation, and were in high spirits when she left the men and went to tend to her children. She then heard two loud bangs and then discovered her husband and his friend had fallen to the ground.The gunmen reportedly headed east on the river immediately after the act. However, contrary to the widow’s report, a farmer, who is a witness in the case, told Police that he did not see any men in a boat, as the woman had said.His story was quite different from that of Williams. He reported hearing a third gunshot after the two men had fallen to the ground.Meanwhile, Police continue to comb Pomeroon riverine communities in an effort to find leads that may solve the case.Baharally had been a father of six, while Goddete had lived with his parents.The mother of Goddete has told media operatives that she just wants her son’s soul to rest in peace, and would leave everything in the Hands of the Almighty. She said she was not aware that her son had had any old grievance with anyone at any time, and recalled that he had left to spend the day with Baharally.Police from G Division are currently hunting for one suspect called “Wood” from Shell Beach, Essequibo.last_img read more

Kerala flood victim dials Didi Ke Bolo helpline gets help

first_imgKolkata: ‘Didi Ke Bolo’ helpline number launched by Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee once again turned rescuer for those who were trapped in Kerala floods.Bapan Das, a resident of Katwa in East Burdwan, was stuck in a house along with 14 others in the floods at Kizhur in Kerala. Das called up the toll free number and shared his ordeal. The caller informed that he was trapped in Kizhur along with others. He said there was no electricity or transportation. The caller requested for immediate assistance and food supplies. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataHe also mentioned that all the means of transport were suspended due to heavy rains. The matter was immediately raised with the disaster management officials of the state government, who contacted their counterparts in the Kerala government. During the call, all the relevant information was collected and it were passed to the disaster management department along with the phone number and location of the victim. Prodded by the Bengal government, the rescue team in Kerala started searching operation. Due to heavy rainfall and bad weather they found it difficult to trace their location. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateAfter a prolonged search operation, the rescue team finally spotted the location. Disaster management department in Kerala confirmed that the victims have been rescued and are safe in a hotel in Karwar. They have been given food and water. The victim will soon be brought back to the city after the situation improves. In a similar incident, some residents who were trapped in the Karnataka flood were rescued by the Karnataka government after they contacted Didi Ke Bolo toll-free number. The helpline number got a call from a person in South 24- Parganas, who claimed that some members of his family were stuck in their residence at Kaida township, near Karwa city due to floods. The caller mentioned that his sister and brother-in- law were in Karnataka and were hit by the floods. State government took up the matter with Karnataka government and informed the whereabouts of the family, as per description provided by the caller. The victims were finally rescued.last_img read more