East Donegal roads reopened following overnight flash floods

first_imgParts of East Donegal were hit by heavy floods last night as downpours caused major travel disruption in the area.Two main routes were impassable after 9pm due to floodwater and many other local routes were affected.Donegal County Council workers were on the scene to divert traffic and deal with the destruction. The R236 St. Johnston to the N14 at Ballinalecky and the R265 Rossgier to Porthall have been reopened this Monday morning.Motorists are being advised to drive with care.   East Donegal roads reopened following overnight flash floods was last modified: September 23rd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Humboldt State’s Madison Williams named CCAA Pitcher of the Week for second time this season

first_imgArcata >> In the days following the Humboldt State softball team’s run to the national tournament last spring, State head coach Shelli Sarchett had a chat with Madison Williams after the right-hander’s impressive junior campaign.Williams was set to become the undisputed ace with the graduation of the other half of the Jacks’ 1-2 punch in 2016, Katie Obbema. And, as a result, Williams’ role on the team was about to get that much bigger.“I said, ‘Listen, next year we don’t have a Katie. We have …last_img read more

How Long Can Comets Bust Up and Re-form?

first_imgIf comets repeatedly break up and re-coagulate, how long could that recur?A new paper in Nature from the Rosetta team suggests a strange new theory about comets. Their Comet 67P has two prominent lobes, like a dumbbell, but it’s not unique. Four other comet nuclei also have a bilobed appearance. This suggests a new theory of how they got that way:Here, we study the structure and dynamics of 67P’s nucleus. We find that sublimation torques have caused the nucleus to spin up in the past to form the large cracks observed on its neck. However, the chaotic evolution of its spin state has so far forestalled its splitting, although it should eventually reach a rapid enough spin rate to do so. Once this occurs, the separated components will be unable to escape each other; they will orbit each other for a time, ultimately undergoing a low-speed merger that will result in a new bilobate configuration. The components of four other imaged bilobate nuclei have volume ratios that are consistent with a similar reconfiguration cycle, pointing to such cycles as a fundamental process in the evolution of short-period comet nuclei. It has been shown that comets were not strong contributors to the so-called late heavy bombardment about 4 billion years ago. The reconfiguration process suggested here would preferentially decimate comet nuclei during migration to the inner solar system, perhaps explaining this lack of a substantial cometary flux.It’s a destructive process, in other words. How long could that go on?This is grist for someone’s research mill – someone open to the idea that billions of years are neither necessary nor empirically tenable. (Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

SA to build 200 000 houses in two years

first_img27 February 2014 The South African government will build 216 000 houses and connect 905 000 households to electricity over the next two years, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan told Parliament on Wednesday. This is in addition to other housing schemes the state has embarked on in partnership with the private sector and public-private development institutions. Delivering his fifth Budget speech in Cape Town, Minister Gordhan said the housing budget for the 2013/14 financial year was R143-billion. Between 1994 and 2013, the government built over 2.7-million houses across South Africa. The National Development Plan (NDP) recommends that responsibility for housing shift to the country’s municipalities in order to improve coordination. All metro municipalities have been directed to implement housing programmes. The Human Settlements spending focus over the next two years will be on transferring grants to provinces and municipalities to fund the delivery of low-income housing, the purchase of land to upgrade informal settlements, and the upgrade of some informal settlements, Gordhan said. The urban settlements development grant is expected to deliver more than 215 000 housing units and upgrade 92 000 services sites in informal settlements. The integrated city development grant, which is being introduced in this year’s Budget, will ensure that large, low-income communities on the urban edge are better connected to centres of economic and social activity through investments in public transport. The Treasury says municipalities will receive the grants on condition that they produce built environment plans and that these plans support better coordination of investments and are aligned to national development plans. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

‘All stakeholders should join hands to serve consumer’

first_imgPANAJI: The Consumer Education and Research Society (CERS), a leading consumer rights’ organisation, is working towards a movement where corporations, manufacturers and retailers become corporate members of CERS, and all these stakeholders serve consumers together.Talking to The Hindu on the sidelines of an event organised by consumer rights body GOACAN on Sunday, Walter Vieira, chairman of the Ahmedabad-based CERS, said, “I want to start this movement because I firmly believe that corporates, manufacturers and organisations like CERS are not enemies, but are on the same side of the table to serve the consumers.” Consumer-centricHe added, “If the consumer is the centre of business, as it should be in any business, then what is the conflict? You want to give them the best, value for money. And these corporates should then be able to say on their letterheads, ‘we are a consumer-centric company and that we are members of CERS’.”“My second thing is to reach out to retailers. [For instance,] in Singapore, they have a placard on the counter saying ‘we are approved by the consumer union of Singapore. If you have any complaint, contact here’. It shows it is consumer-centric and compliant,” said Mr. Vieira.He said that in developed countries, consumer unions are able mobilise huge funds through magazine subscriptions. He recalled how CERS had to close down its magazine Insight, which was losing ₹1 lakh a month as it could not get more than 1,800 subscribers. At present, the CERS runs a Hindi magazine called Grahak Sathi with funds from the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. It expects to get grants from the Gujarat and Telangana governments for Gujarati and Telugu issues.Govt. support lackingMr. Vieira admits that the consumer movement has failed to take off in the country because organisations have not been able to get masses involved. But he laments that the Ministry of Consumer Affairs has been giving huge grants to organisations like FICCI and CII for consumer protection, but not even one-tenth of the amount to consumer organisations. “Does it make any sense? Six months ago, Mr. Ram Vilas Paswan announced huge grants to the Advertising Standards Council of India. You are giving them a couple of crores, to do what? To protect the ad agencies?” he asked. Mr. Vieira said he was not not happy with the consumer courts in the country. “The idea is fine, but the government is not supporting it. Not giving enough money to support it — infrastructure for courts, personnel, nothing,” he said.last_img read more

2 suspected of theft beaten up

first_imgThe video images of two youths — suspected to have stolen five plastic chairs — tied with ropes, hung upside down from a tree and beaten up brutally by some baton-wielding men in a village of Bihar’s Kaimur district have shocked the State. Four accused persons were arrested on Monday while two remained absconding.The incident took place in Sonbarsa village on Saturday after the wedding ceremony of Mahangu Bind’s daughter. After the baraat (groom’s relatives) left for Ballia district of neighbouring Uttar Pradesh with the bride the next day, five plastic chairs and some other goods were found missing. Suspecting that Raj Kumar Bind and Birbal Bind, both in their early 20s, had stolen the stuff, Mahangu Bind called them to his house, had them tied up, hung them upside down from a tree branch and beat them with batons. They released the duo only after their family paid them ₹3,000 as compensation for the missing goods. The victims were, initially, reluctant to lodge a complaint but when district officials assured them of security, they filed a case.last_img read more

McGregor vows Mayweather knockout as moment of truth nears

first_imgEthel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters But while McGregor, a long-odds underdog, has attracted most wagers, the majority of the money is on Mayweather.William Hill US reported that several large bets had been placed on Mayweather for what is expected to be a straightforward assignment.One punter placed a $1.2 million cash bet on Mayweather, which will earn around $240,000.Yet the mere fact that McGregor will carry at least a puncher’s chance into the contest has been enough to sustain the excitement.Stephen Espinoza, the head of cable network Showtime Sports which is selling the fight on pay-per-view in the US, said surveys had shown that fans were not deterred by predictions of a mismatch.“The casual fans were absolutely adamant,” Espinoza said.“Their response almost universally was ‘We don’t care if it’s a mismatch … if there’s a .01 chance that something incredible could happen, we need to watch it.’“And that’s why they’re going to watch it.”Others however have sounded a note of caution, citing potential safety risks to McGregor given the chasm of experience between the Irishman and Mayweather.British former light-welterweight world champion Amir Khan expressed fears Friday McGregor could be seriously injured. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Griffin grabs bronze for PH in wakeboarding “Weight doesn’t win fights, fighting wins fights,” Mayweather said. “It won’t go the distance. Mark my words — I’m not worried about the scales.”McGregor meanwhile basked in the adulation of his Irish fans who have poured into the Nevada desert gambling capital this week.“You can’t beat us — we’ve already taken over,” McGregor bellowed. “Las Vegas is Ireland now.”An army of Irish fans poured out onto the Las Vegas strip following the weigh-in, dancing and singing in blazing hot sunshine.Saturday’s bout has appalled boxing traditionalists, who have rubbished the event as a meaningless, money-grabbing, mismatch which owes more to the pantomime traditions of WWE wrestling than the noble art.Boxing pundits, coaches and fighters have lined up to dismiss McGregor’s hopes of succeeding where 49 others in Mayweather’s 21-year career have failed.“Would a ping-pong player have a chance of scoring a point against Roger Federer?” was the withering verdict of veteran trainer Teddy Atlas. “It’s going to be like walking through a really bad neighborhood late at night. McGregor’s going to get mugged.”Safety fearsThe hard-nosed heavy-hitters of the gambling world agree.Saturday’s fight is set to smash records as the most bet-upon bout in Las Vegas history. Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion Floyd Mayweather Jr., center left, and Conor McGregor face off during a weigh-in Friday, Aug. 25, 2017, in Las Vegas. The two are scheduled to fight in a boxing match Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor vowed to knock out boxer Floyd Mayweather on Friday as a horde of Irish fans descended on Las Vegas for the trash-talking rivals’ cross-combat super-fight.McGregor, 29, will carry a substantial weight advantage into Saturday’s 12-round boxing contest at the T-Mobile Arena after a raucous weigh-in that saw him face-off with Mayweather for the final time before fight-night.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Gamescenter_img “It’s like a tennis player trying to play badminton,” Khan said.“(McGregor) needs to think about himself in this fight, because if he gets seriously injured, he might not ever be the same fighter or he might not even fight again.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side View comments LATEST STORIES Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim McGregor, who has never fought in a professional boxing contest, is a massive underdog for a fight, which is expected to beamed live to around 200 countries and territories across the globe.But the former apprentice plumber from Dublin, who was unemployed four years ago, defiantly predicted he was ready to spring a monumental upset on the skillful Mayweather, one of the finest boxers in history who boasts a perfect 49-0 record.“That’s the worst shape I’ve ever seen him,” McGregor said of Mayweather. “I’m going to breeze through him, trust me on that.”‘Fighting wins fights’A nonplussed Mayweather shrugged off his weight disadvantage and once again vowed to stop McGregor inside the distance.ADVERTISEMENT With waves of green-shirted fans in a crowd of around 6,000 roaring their support for the Irish superstar, McGregor tipped the scales at 153 pounds, well inside the 154-pound limit.Former welterweight champion Mayweather, 40, who has emerged from a two-year retirement to take on MMA star McGregor, weighed in at 149.5 pounds.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe naturally bigger McGregor — who screamed into Mayweather’s face as the two men went nose-to-nose — said he expects to enter the ring at closer to 170 pounds.Saturday’s one-off bout is projected to be the richest fight in history, with Mayweather poised to earn as much as $200 million and McGregor potentially pocketing around $100 million. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READlast_img read more